Gibson Brands Forums

What should I expect from a Custom Shop Class 5 Les Paul ?

Raymond Lin

I have agreed a trade with a store for a Gibson Custom Shop Class 5 Les Paul for my PRS Custom 22 Special.

This

C2gJKmz.jpg

6EngNTt.jpg

For this

FyZl2mf.jpg

cvIBgN7.jpg

byV9F21.jpg

I am going to see the guitar on Saturday before sealing the deal, but doing some research now hence I am here. I have been a PRS guy thus far and so far Gibson Les Paul have not impressed me as much, not even in photos, until this one.

My question is what should I expect from a Custom Shop Les Paul over a regular Les Paul? What aspects of the guitar that you guys would think is where the extra money going to?

Obviously my main frame of refernce is not from a cheaper Les Paul, but from PRS...which is immaculate to the tinnest detail.

Hello.

Gibson`s model arrangement often very confusing.

Class 5 Les Pauls are based on regular run guitars (weight-relieved body), but have features of a Historic (ABR-1 bridge).

So they are crossovers between an average Gibson USA Les Paul, and a 1959 Reissue.

Cheers... Bence

Hello.

Gibson`s model arrangement often very confusing.

Class 5 Les Pauls are based on regular run guitars (weight-relieved body), but have features of a Historic (ABR-1 bridge).

So they are crossovers between an average Gibson USA Les Paul, and a 1959 Reissue.

Cheers... Bence

Would you say the Class 5 is a new/modern Historic R9?

What am R9 would have looked like in 1959.

Would you say the Class 5 is a new/modern Historic R9?

What am R9 would have looked like in 1959.

Hello!

No, by no means.

An R9 looking like a brand-new guitar would be the "R9 Gloss", opposed to "R9 V.O.S.".

V.O.S. - Vintage Original Specification means that the finish of the guitar's body and the hardware is slightly reliced.

Reissues have one-piece, solid bodies, they are never weight-relieved (however, sometimes chambered like the "CR9"). This guitar has the body of the modern Les Paul, with the 9-hole relief, but the hardware is from a Reissue.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

No, by no means.

An R9 looking like a brand-new guitar would be the "R9 Gloss", opposed to "R9 V.O.S.".

V.O.S. - Vintage Original Specification means that the finish of the guitar's body and the hardware is slightly reliced.

Reissues have one-piece, solid bodies, they are never weight-relieved (however, sometimes chambered like the "CR9"). This guitar has the body of the modern Les Paul, with the 9-hole relief, but the hardware is from a Reissue.

Cheers... Bence

Ah yes, I forgot the weight relief part.

Okay, I guess apart from that, since it has the same reissue hardware, it has the long tenon (like how they build it in the old days). This is as close as Gibson make or made to a 1959 in a modern finish?

Ah yes, I forgot the weight relief part.

Okay, I guess apart from that, since it has the same reissue hardware, it has the long tenon (like how they build it in the old days). This is as close as Gibson make or made to a 1959 in a modern finish?

Hehe. Your question is tricky, again.

The thing is, Gibson likes to confuse enthusiasts...

The best description would be: "a contemporary Les Paul retrofitted with vintage hardware". Many of us are replacing the bridge, the tailpiece, the pickup surrounds, etc. with vintage spec units. Basically, the Class 5 is about that. Can't confirm the long-tenon, though.

Reissues are different from the contemporary models from the very beginning: the solid body, with the original contour of the top, the headstock shape, etc.

Hope it helps... Bence

It's an extremely expensive Les Paul with an uber flame-y top and a nice paint job that you can't get on a runnathemill Les Paul. It either sounds and feels great or it doesn't, just like the rest of them.

rct

The best description would be: "a contemporary Les Paul retrofitted with vintage hardware". Many of us are replacing the bridge, the tailpiece, the pickup surrounds, etc. with vintage spec units. Basically, the Class 5 is about that. Can't confirm the long-tenon, though.

Reissues are different from the contemporary models from the very beginning: the solid body, with the original contour of the top, the headstock shape, etc.

Hope it helps... Bence

I see, so in short, new wood, reissue parts.

Thanks a lot !

I've got a 2010 Class 5 Les Paul. It's got a great neck and came with Grover tuners and burst bucker 2 (neck) and 3 (bridge) pick-ups. With the weight relief it's lighter than my R9 but has a little more roar. I think you'll enjoy it.

I have a 2001 Les Paul Class 5 and the guitar is fantastic. I believe they call it a Class 5 because instead of a Gibson AAA top it is a AAAAA top, and it is truly beautiful. To me the 5A top has the depth and beauty of a PRS 10 top. I also like the weight as compared to my 1980 Les Paul Custom (3 pick up black beauty). The Custom so much heavier! My Class 5 plays and sounds great also. You will be very happy with this guitar.

.which is immaculate to the tinnest detail.

Why would you sell the immaculate conception?

Can't be too darn immaculate, its on the chopping block. LOL!!!

Not even a 10-top, you'd get shunned at the PRS door for that![only joking]

Hope it helps... Bence

[The Class 5 does have a long-tenon]

• 2 weeks later...

How so, you haven't played either one, have you? How could you make a comparison? [confused]

You are right, I have not played the guitars mentioned, none of us except for the OP has actually played them. Are you saying nobody except the OP buyer can compare?

However, I am sure many here, including myself have a number of LP's and PRS's that could be similar. But your are right, it's really up to OP and we are just offering our preference or opinions; perhaps to help the OP's affirmation. I think that's what this thread is for. In general, PRS have better hands on workmanship... But it's up to the OP to decide..it's his $. They are both excellent tools. msp_thumbup.gif

Archived