Gibson Brands Forums

1950 Gibson L-50 restoration

Tbane

About 15 years ago, a friend of mine, gave me an old (1945-1950) L-50, one with f-holes not a sound hole. It was in the bottom of her son's a toy box beneath tons of metal Tonka trucks. Needless to say it was quite scratched up but none really deep. Fortunately, I put strings on it and it plays great - even the action is good. But I have never done anything with it since it is in such bad shape. Unfortunately, someone tried to protect the guitar by fixing a Plexiglas shield onto the soundboard with 1/8" screws- which I have removed. Eight around perimeter and one dead center. Also the original tuning keys were replaced with modern Gibson Deluxe Keystones (go figure?) and coated with what appears to be a clear urethane substance. But now I have taken the guitar out of it case and started thinking I could make a good player out of it because it has probably lose any resale value because of the horrendous condition it is in now. I have built guitars and reconditioned them quite successfully before but I'm not sure how to recondition this one without obliterating the original Gibson logo (Block with the dot touching the G). I'm worried about replacing the logo (the only identifying feature)since one day I may want to sell it - as a player not a collectable. I don't want someone later claiming I have sold them a counterfeit. Is there any advice out there on restoring this battle scared old vet.

Photos are always helpful in seeking advise and recommendations.

As for the logo, just leave the face of the headstock alone.

Thanks for the input, I had considered doing just that. But thought if there was away to do the entire guitar headstock included I would prefer to do that. Sorry about no pictures. I'm not so good with photos and such on the web. I will try to upload at some point. Hope you will check back after I get them posted.

Archived