Gibson Brands Forums

Battery replacement

Wee Davy

The battery in my hummingbird pro was installed at the factory in November 2013. I very rarely plug the guitar in,so the battery hasn't been used very much at all.

Factory fitted batteries, in my experience, are not always the highest quality.

How often should I change it to avoid damage by leakage etcetera ?

Good question W-D.... [thumbup]

How long is a piece of string...?

I had a leakage from an original battery in an acoustic last year...less than 12 months from new.... :blink:

The dealer gave me a brand new guitar in exchange

This made me more cautious...so I immediately removed all my acoustics' batteries...

The only awkward one is a Guild which is only accessible under the strings

To be honest I run a risk with this guitar...the battery is 2 years old... :blink:

Seems ok....I just played it today...

Wish me luck.... :-({|=

V

:-({|=

In my case…. never. I had the luthier remove the pickup from my 2008 J-50 when he did a setup, I really disliked the sound. I now have a vintage DeArmond soundhole pickup… no batteries needed. [tongue]

"How often should I change it to avoid damage "

I do a visual peek every time I use my amp. No matter how new or old a battery is, it can be a leaker......and the cheap batteries leak the quickest! For general maintenance....every 4/6 months is my schedule.

I rarely plug in, so I don't keep batteries in my guitars. Battery acid is nasty stuff. When I do need to amp up, I use a guitar that I can pop a battery in without removing strings.

Bo

I don't get this.

If you gig then you'll know when to change a battery.. If you don't then don't have a battery in the guitar? No?

I'll say no..................when home there's loopers and other plug-ins to use. So, the short is...no.

Archived