Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Guitar Bridge Pin puller

Rabs

I tend to use a small sidecutter... then it cuts the strings too.

I've tried some of the fancy winder/cutter stuff, but... somehow a finger separating the cutter from the guitar top works pretty well.

m

I've got one of those black plastic ones but I've been putting one of these in each case. That little forked hook on the end of the handle works great. plus the tuner winder has fit every size I have.

I don't like using the plastic winders. They can dent your bridge and the slot doesn't fit the all size pins very well and they don't fit all tuner sizes very well.

I'42C383AC-0CE4-449A-AFC0-37EEAA8F9C06_zps0w1l4zmq.jpg

I tend to use a small sidecutter... then it cuts the strings too.

I've tried some of the fancy winder/cutter stuff, but... somehow a finger separating the cutter from the guitar top works pretty well.

m

yep, a small pair of cutters works best for me too. and like you said, then you've got em right there for cutting the strings

I got one of those "pin puller-string winders" and it didn't work at all well for me.

Which just shows "different strokes for different folks."

Anyway, I think Duane has it kinda nailed too - I don't have high-end bridge pins and the side cutters, almost identical to the pix above, work fine. But... if I had his stuff, I'd figure "no way" for the side cutters.

m

well gotta be careful with pliers and cutters, fumble finger those, and you got a nice dent in your top. if you got a 30 year old yamaha that your working on,, who cares,, but a brand new J200,,,, and I'm probably looking for a bridge to jump off.

I usually take all the strings off, then, I just reach my left hand in and push up while pulling with the right. so far.. never fails!

Archived