Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Logo inconsistency?

fauvent

Hello guys,

Since I am planning to buy a used J45 (because I cant find the specific model I want brand new) I have been very careful checking the details on the guitars I see, searching for "inconsistencies" to spot the fake ones.

Recently I notice something. Some gibson logos in the headstok, show the "i" dot, sitcked to the G, others not. Is that some kind of "logo adjustment? If so since when?

Here I post some examples:

J45 standard 2007

http://www.sheltonsguitars.com/2008/4-6-08/gibson-j-45-sb-4-6-08.html

J45 standard 2006

http://denverfolklore.com/instrument_photos/Gibson_J-45_photos.htm

Regards!

Hello guys,

Since I am planning to buy a used J45 (because I cant find the specific model I want brand new) I have been very careful checking the details on the guitars I see, searching for "inconsistencies" to spot the fake ones.

Recently I notice something. Some gibson logos in the headstok, show the "i" dot, sitcked to the G, others not. Is that some kind of "logo adjustment? If so since when?

Here I post some examples:

J45 standard 2006

http://denverfolklore.com/instrument_photos/Gibson_J-45_photos.htm

J45 standard 2007

http://www.sheltonsguitars.com/2008/4-6-08/gibson-j-45-sb-4-6-08.html

Regards!

There is a difference in those two pictures on those logos .. but Nothing to be alarmed with.. there both Gibsons.. Not fakes. every J45 is different.. right from the 90s right up to now.. look at the different model designations.. To many..

Over the years there's been a bit on inconsistency with the modern Gibson script logo - dot above the 'i', dot of the 'i' touching the 'G', no dot over the 'i', open 'b' & 'o', closed 'b' & 'o', etc, etc.

We had a good thread on it a couple weeks ago - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/74747-gbsons-headstock-logos/page__p__1616729__hl__logo__fromsearch__1#entry1616729

There is a difference in those two pictures on those logos .. but Nothing to be alarmed with.. there both Gibsons.. Not fakes. every J45 is different.. right from the 90s right up to now.. look at the different model designations.. To many..

I guess so,

Looks like the logo, at least in the j45, was re-designed on 2007.

Thank you for your answer, slimt

Over the years there's been a bit on inconsistency with the modern Gibson script logo - dot above the 'i', dot of the 'i' touching the 'G', no dot over the 'i', open 'b' & 'o', closed 'b' & 'o', etc, etc.

We had a good thread on it a couple weeks ago - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/74747-gbsons-headstock-logos/page__p__1616729__hl__logo__fromsearch__1#entry1616729

Wow,

Great post, BigKahune,

Thanks a lot for sharing!

:)

Wow,

Great post, BigKahune,

Thanks a lot for sharing!

:)

Logos are the least to be concerned with.. back in the 60s some gibsons were inconsistant on serial numbers.. Nowdays.. Look at all the different type of woods being used.. and the Pearls or pearl less guitars being made of the same model guitars.. 30 years from now.. it would be interesting to see who can break down the type of woods that was used on a paticular guitar in that given year..

Logos are the least to be concerned with.. back in the 60s some gibsons were inconsistant on serial numbers.. Nowdays.. Look at all the different type of woods being used.. and the Pearls or pearl less guitars being made of the same model guitars.. 30 years from now.. it would be interesting to see who can break down the type of woods that was used on a paticular guitar in that given year..

You're right slimt,

That would be very interested from a historc point of view. I just brought up the topic, because I was trying to define if that could be a red light in a fake gibson.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your 20 cents!

Regards!

Such obvios and blatant inconsistantcy in Gibson models, decade after decade, over and over and over, simply delights the counterfitters. They know that there are so many different versions of Gibsons, that even if their own conterfit versiion of a Gibson is slightly different or off, no one may notice. Except of course the experts in here!

You're right slimt,

That would be very interested from a historc point of view. I just brought up the topic, because I was trying to define if that could be a red light in a fake gibson.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your 20 cents!

Regards!

Well, the fakes cannot get the logo right period,, and the Headstocks and Heals seem to be way off.. But I will say.. alot of these fake Gibson Les pauls Ive seen.. mostly have the guts from the epiphones. so theres some funny things going on over there..

Well, the fakes cannot get the logo right period,, and the Headstocks and Heals seem to be way off.. But I will say.. alot of these fake Gibson Les pauls Ive seen.. mostly have the guts from the epiphones. so theres some funny things going on over there..

That could be a good way to spot fakes, cheking the logo-period accuracy!

Such obvios and blatant inconsistantcy in Gibson models, decade after decade, over and over and over, simply delights the counterfitters. They know that there are so many different versions of Gibsons, that even if their own conterfit versiion of a Gibson is slightly different or off, no one may notice. Except of course the experts in here!

I agree. Chevrolet has done the same thing over the decades with their 'bowtie' logo. Changed it dozens of times! I was duped into buying a Corvette Stingray made in China a few years ago. I should have been suspicious - the 'i' in Stingray wasn't dotted.

I agree. Chevrolet has done the same thing over the decades with their 'bowtie' logo. Changed it dozens of times! I was duped into buying a Corvette Stingray made in China a few years ago. I should have been suspicious - the 'i' in Stingray wasn't dotted.

I like banjos.

I like banjos.

Really? Me too ! I'm partial to the 5 stringers - how do you like the new six string ones?

I got stuck on a nice Epiphone 7 stringer once. I should have known - the 'e' at the end hat a little curly thing that made it look like a 'y'.

Archived