Gibson Brands Forums

mystery guitar

nick220s

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and would like to say hi to everyone. I have been playing guitar for a few years now and play a bit of everything. My father in law bought a guitar years ago and he recently brought it out, took it to a guitar tech and had it set up and does it ever sound nice. He has no idea what it is so I'm throwing it out to the pros. I have enclosed pictures. There is no information inside the guitar.

slideshow

That is a mystery. Don't remember ever seeing anything like it.

Judging from the tuners, it would have to be somewhere in the 70's or 80's? Plus, the volute.

If that's the case, very possible it is of Asian origin, and I only say that because there were so many. It does not appear to be a copy of anything, which I think actually makes it harder to figure out.

Sort of a Martin Dreadnought copy with Gibson shaped head stock. Be interesting to know if the top is solid. Figuring it out is not obvious. Just because the top grain is nice and the sound hole shows solid at the edge it could still be a lam top. The only way to know for sure is to inspect underside of the top and see if the type of wood and grain match the top side of the top. The fingerboard inlay was cheaply done with a simple router cut, chances are the top is a laminate. Probably Asian. Anyway... nice beach guitar. B)

At first glance I thought Asian but the stylized pickguard, the 'one screw' TRC and the odd inlays made me think Europe. It reminds me of an Egmond but ramped up quality-wise. The Holland Egmonds were cheese and the Asian Egmonds looked just like every other Pac Rim Martinesque thing.

Dunno. I find it odd there's nothing on the headstock and no label inside. It happens, I know.

Archived