Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between LLPLes Paul Studio 2008 and 2014

Cockey

Hi there.

I am about to buy a used Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White 2008.

The guy I am about to buy it from says that he bought it for about $2500 here in Sweden back in 2008. But I can see that a new Gibson Les Paul Studio 2014-15 costs about $1500 now here in Sweden.

Is he telling the truth?

In case he is, Why was a 2008 model more expensive than a 2014 model is now?

What is the difference between them?

Thank you very much for helping me .Chris

Hi there.

I am about to buy a used Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White 2008.

The guy I am about to buy it from says that he bought it for about $2500 here in Sweden back in 2008. But I can see that a new Gibson Les Paul Studio 2014-15 costs about $1500 now here in Sweden.

Is he talking the truth?

In case he is, Why was a 2008 model more expensive than a 2014 model is now?

What is the difference between them?

Thank you very much for helping meChrise

I've only seen Gibson Les Paul Studios sell new from around $1300 to $1600 Max.. I have a 1996 studio and paid around $1400 and you can't resell them for anymore than $500 to $800 were I'm at. I just bought a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic for $2,279 from zZounds. American Musical Supply and zZounds are online stores and have payment plans useing the credit card or cards you already have. You don't need a card from them. My first payment was $209 and the rest will be $189 monthly for 12 months no interest. As soon as you pay the first payment you'll get the guitar in a week or less (U.S.) If you don't like it you can send it back within 45 days and get all your money back or exchange. I would suggest that rought if you have a credit card. I've never seen a Gibson Les Paul Studio for more than $1600 new. They DO NOT hold there value as well as other Gibson Models..

Seems to me like someone is trying to make a quick buck at your expense. Even over-seas, there is absolutely no reason to pay that much for a Studio.

I find it exceedingly hard to believe he paid 2500.00 for a Studio in Sweden, even with kronor exchange rates and duties. I would ask him to prove the price he paid. In any case, pass on this one. That is WAAAYYY over-priced and not nearly worth the purchase.

And no, the 2008 model was less expensive than the 2014-2015 models.

Scott is right on. A used Studio in the states goes for about 500-900.00 US depending on model. With an Alpine White (due to ebony board and gold hardware on 2011 and older ones) at the higher end of that scale. And a Faded Studio/LPJ on the lower end.

Seems to me like someone is trying to make a quick buck at your expense. Even over-seas, there is absolutely no reason to pay that much for a Studio.

I find it exceedingly hard to believe he paid 2500.00 for a Studio in Sweden, even with kronor exchange rates and duties. I would ask him to prove the price he paid. In any case, pass on this one. That is WAAAYYY over-priced and not nearly worth the purchase.

And no, the 2008 model was less expensive than the 2014-2015 models.

Scott is right on. A used Studio in the states goes for about 500-900.00 US depending on model. With an Alpine White (due to ebony board and gold hardware on 2011 and older ones) at the higher end of that scale. And a Faded Studio/LPJ on the lower end.

Sorry if I forgot some details. I get to buy it from him for approx $750 incl. original hardcase. I was just wondering why the 2008 model was more expencive then 2014. If someone know the difference between theese two models? Thank you guys for your replies so far=)

Sorry if I forgot some details. I get to buy it from him for approx $750 incl. original hardcase. I was just wondering why the 2008 model was more expencive then 2014. If someone know the difference between theese two models? Thank you guys for your replies so far=)

That clarifies things significantly. 750.00 is a good price with Case. Gibson prices increased in 2014-15 due to many factors. Cost of materials, inflation, supposedly better QC, the addition of the auto-tuners, etc... Guitar prices generally increase year over year to account for materials cost, labor cost, natural inflation, etc.... In 2008 there was a significant market crash in the US which affected the value of the Dollar. This could be why he paid more, but unlikely. 2008's were not more expensive than a 2014-15. 2500.00 seems more like he is trying to make you feel like you are getting a good deal. What he paid for the guitar has absolutely no impact on what your should pay for it :)

There really is not much difference. The main difference is no Apline White in 2014 or 2015. That being said, the benefit of the Alpine White from previous years from a standard Studio is the Apline White has an Ebony fretboard (this changed in August 2011 after the Fed RAID) and Gold Hardware. All other things are basically the same less the Auto-tuners, and different pickups. The 08 will likely have 490/498 pickups, and an Ebony fretboard.

The OP talks from Sweden. Presumably importing taxes will make a brand new Studio cost around ~$1500 there. Sweden is well known for taxing citizens higher than the rest of the world - but they also offer better public services for citizens.

Brazil is also well known for taxing citizens too much, but the public services are way worse than in Sweden. I paid around ~$1650,00 for a "normal" 2014 Studio with gig bag (without hard case).

A 2014 Studio Pro (which I imagine is equivalent to this 2008 Alpine White Studio) costs around ~2150,00 here. Roughly speaking, for 500 bucks more, I'd get a hard case, glossy nitro finish, grover tuning pegs and two additional push-pull modes (phase and bypass).

I really don't know if this 2008 Studio has some special feature besides having a classy color reference "Alpine White". If its just a "normal" Studio, I'd get a 2014 Studio or Studio Pro one.

That clarifies things significantly. 750.00 is a good price with Case. Gibson prices increased in 2014-15 due to many factors. Cost of materials, inflation, supposedly better QC, the addition of the auto-tuners, etc... Guitar prices generally increase year over year to account for materials cost, labor cost, natural inflation, etc.... In 2008 there was a significant market crash in the US which affected the value of the Dollar. This could be why he paid more, but unlikely. 2008's were not more expensive than a 2014-15. 2500.00 seems more like he is trying to make you feel like you are getting a good deal. What he paid for the guitar has absolutely no impact on what your should pay for it :)

There really is not much difference. The main difference is no Apline White in 2014 or 2015. That being said, the benefit of the Alpine White from previous years from a standard Studio is the Apline White has an Ebony fretboard (this changed in August 2011 after the Fed RAID) and Gold Hardware. All other things are basically the same less the Auto-tuners, and different pickups. The 08 will likely have 490/498 pickups, and an Ebony fretboard.

I agree $750.00 is a good price with the case if the guitar is All original and in decent shape.

1422478909[/url]' post='1621499']

The OP talks from Sweden. Presumably importing taxes will make a brand new Studio cost around ~$1500 there. Sweden is well known for taxing citizens higher than the rest of the world - but they also offer better public services for citizens.

Brazil is also well known for taxing citizens too much, but the public services are way worse than in Sweden. I paid around ~$1650,00 for a "normal" 2014 Studio with gig bag (without hard case).

A 2014 Studio Pro (which I imagine is equivalent to this 2008 Alpine White Studio) costs around ~2150,00 here. Roughly speaking, for 500 bucks more, I'd get a hard case, glossy nitro finish, grover tuning pegs and two additional push-pull modes (phase and bypass).

I really don't know if this 2008 Studio has some special feature besides having a classy color reference "Alpine White". If its just a "normal" Studio, I'd get a 2014 Studio or Studio Pro one.

Hey,

Since I'm also from Sweden, let me add some info.

You can get a 2014 LP Studio for appr 900$: http://www.4sound.se/gitarr/elektrisk/right/gibson-les-paul-studio-2014-ebony

A new 2015 Studio costs like 1.300$: http://www.4sound.se/gitarr/elektrisk/right/gibson-les-paul-studio-2015-desert-burst

We are a part of the European Union, so import taxes are the same as for i.e. UK.

//Robert

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Yes, in Sweden they are around $1300 (11.090 SEK) new.

3% is the import tax on instruments, which applies to shipping/handling as well.

Then the sum above is charged with 25% of VAT in Sweden. (Opposed to UK, where it's 19% only.)

Cheers... Bence

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Yes, in Sweden they are around $1300 (11.090 SEK) new.

3% is the import tax on instruments, which applies to shipping/handling as well.

Then the sum above is charged with 25% of VAT in Sweden. (Opposed to UK, where it's 19% only.)

Cheers... Bence

So the final price ir $1300 * 1.03 * 1.25 or is it just $1300 (taxes included)?

Archived