Gibson Brands Forums

Satin Finish...Same number of coats, as Gloss?

Just wondering if you all at Gibson can tell me if the "Satin Finish" on the ES-335 "Satin" is as robust,

and has as many coats, as the Gloss, but with just the matte/satin clear coats? I really like the "Satin"

finish, myself, but am a bit concerned (based on past experiences, with "matte" or "satin" finishes

on some of the "tribute" Les Pauls/SG's etc.). Those seemed to wear down to the wood, in a very short time,

especially on the necks. [crying]

So, just curious...

CB

Not sure, but when about number of coats, there might be differences between "worn", "satin", and "vintage gloss" finishes. The "worn" and "vintage gloss" Gibsons of mine don't seem to have any clear coat at all, except for the "natural vintage gloss" ones with clear coats only, of course. [biggrin]

No "satin" Gibson here, but my impression of those I laid hands on was they came with a partially buffed clear coat so to say. But I'm not sure about that, too.

Not sure, but when about number of coats, there might be differences between "worn", "satin", and "vintage gloss" finishes. The "worn" and "vintage gloss" Gibsons of mine don't seem to have any clear coat at all, except for the "natural vintage gloss" ones with clear coats only, of course. [biggrin]

No "satin" Gibson here, but my impression of those I laid hands on was they came with a partially buffed clear coat so to say. But I'm not sure about that, too.

Well, the "worn" finishes ARE "Thin!" I wore the paint off the neck of my TV Yellow LP Special, in very short order!

My '61 "Satin" SG Standard is holding up much better, but there are still small areas on the neck, where the finish

is gone, and it's only about 2 years old. My 1980 LP Custom (Gloss Finish) is 35 years old, and it's "as new," still.

Total playing time on all, is (roughly) the same (The LP Custom was in storage, for a long time) in terms of total hours,

and environmental issues. So...???

CB

Sometimes the grey line is very thin in a double sense, or better said a tan line in the following context. [rolleyes] The finish of my Government Series II Explorer called Governmental Tan is specified to be vintage gloss by Gibson. The neck's back looks close to Gibson's "worn" finishes with the pores clearly both visible and touchable, but the body looks and feels like "satin" or at least much smoother than the other Gibsons of mine specified as "vintage glossy" finished.

The boundaries between different numbers of coats and thicknesses might be fluid...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Charlie!

The new, updated Gibson product pages tell much more about the built specifications than they used to.

Finish specs for the ES-335 Satin:

Color Code: RD

Surface Texture: Matte / Semi Gloss 30 Sheen Lacquer

Filler: Walnut

Sealer: 1-1.5 mils

Top: Red Stain, Red

Top Coat: Semi Gloss Lacquer / 30 Sheen 7-8 mils

Scraped: Fingerboard Sides, Body and Nut

Finish specs for the ES-335:

Color Code: CH

Surface Texture: Smooth / Hi Gloss 90 Sheen Lacquer

Top: Cherry

Top Coat: Hi Gloss Lacquer / 90 Sheen 7-8 mils

Cheers... Bence

Hello Charlie!

The new, updated Gibson product pages tell much more about the built specifications than they used to.

Finish specs for the ES-335 Satin:

Color Code: RD

Surface Texture: Matte / Semi Gloss 30 Sheen Lacquer

Top: Red Stain, Red

Top Coat: Semi Gloss Lacquer / 30 Sheen 7-8 mils

Finish specs for the ES-335:

Color Code: CH

Surface Texture: Smooth / Hi Gloss 90 Sheen Lacquer

Top: Cherry

Top Coat: Hi Gloss Lacquer / 90 Sheen 7-8 mils

Cheers... Bence

Thanks, Bence! [thumbup] Seems to be identical, as to thickness and coats! Only the sheen used, is different, apparently.

Good To Know! [biggrin]

CB

Archived