Gibson Brands Forums

what new pickups for my Signature T

the dog

So this past weekend I was playing my Explorer then my Les Paul.

All guitar pots were on number 10 and amp setting were untouched.

I found that my Les Paul sounds thin and tinny compared to my Explorer....

I want my Les Paul to be more loud and brash but retain good tone....

There are way too many pups for me to pick one set....I want to replace both...

I'd like to go with Seymour Duncan but like I said there are too many selections to choose from....

Any suggestions?

I won't be playing metal....

I will be playing classic and heavy rock and maybe some lighter stuff.....

I believe that most Explorers use the 496R/500T combo.. which are two of the hottest Gibson make.. They are also ceramic (rather than the often usual Alnico magnets) which makes them perfect for that hot 80s rock type sound.. So maybe get a pair of them?

Heres a pickup chart of relative output (loudness)

Gibson-Pickup-Output-guide_zpszy9upisg.jpg

gibson-epiphone-pickups2_zps9nvey0b8.jpg

What strings do you use? I too found my LP Studio a little thin, then upped the gauge of my strings to 10-52, and got a very noticeable 'thickness' increase in tone :) Certainly a cheap way to see if you're happy before splashing on new pups :)

I believe that most Explorers use the 496R/500T combo.. which are two of the hottest Gibson make.. They are also ceramic (rather than the often usual Alnico magnets) which makes them perfect for that hot 80s rock type sound.. So maybe get a pair of them?

Heres a pickup chart of relative output (loudness)

Gibson-Pickup-Output-guide_zpszy9upisg.jpg

gibson-epiphone-pickups2_zps9nvey0b8.jpg

I have a Government series II Explorer and it has DirtyFingers+ pups....they sound great....

After I posted this thread I was looking around and I read the thread where Dan put SD Hot Rodded pickups in his Signature T....

thanks for the pick up chart....I have to take a screen shot and save it...

What strings do you use? I too found my LP Studio a little thin, then upped the gauge of my strings to 10-52, and got a very noticeable 'thickness' increase in tone :) Certainly a cheap way to see if you're happy before splashing on new pups :)

I use 10-46......strings won't do it.....I need a big change....

I have a Government series II Explorer and it has DirtyFingers+ pups....they sound great....

After I posted this thread I was looking around and I read the thread where Dan put SD Hot Rodded pickups in his Signature T....

just look up Gibson Pickup Chart on Google images [thumbup]

Ohh.. there is also one thing to try..

Try raising the pickups a little maybe? Changing pickup heights can have quite a big effect sometimes.

Ohh.. there is also one thing to try..

Try raising the pickups a little maybe? Changing pickup heights can have quite a big effect sometimes.

Thanks Rabs......I did that last night...The neck pickup was about flush with pickup ring top....I turned each screw 3 complete turns....It brought the pickup up a little bit but not much of a change....I didn't bother with bridge pup...The bridge pup is much closer to strings than the neck pup....

It will have to be a pup swap....

I called Seymour Duncan about 6:00 my time and the man that I talked to suggested the Hot Rodded Humbucker as my best option....

I saw in another thread that Dan put the same set in his guitar...

maybe do a quick swap between the two guitars. or at least just but the explorer's in the paul and see what happens...

I thought of that...I don't want to touch the Explorer....its perfect....I'm going to buy these Hot Rodded humbuckers and go from there.....

They have to be better than the 57's I've got in there now.....

If you are sold on SD pups (nothing wrong with that) and based and the type of music you play I would suggest the following:

59/custom hybrid-very nice pickup with a good mix of modern and PAF tone. moderately hot, definitely hotter than a PAF, and has a warm, not to ice-picky character in the bridge. I had one in a Les Paul bridge and liked it. Took it out of that guitar because I wanted pure PAF/lower output. In fact I still have it and just put it on ebay for sale pretty cheap [smile]

And of course there's the JB. Good hard rock pickup, been around forever, though I prefer the hybrid. Hits the brown sound well.

There's always Pearly gates as well for hot PAF. A bit trebly but some folks like that and it is popular for Les Pauls. I think Gibson even makes a Lesley model that comes stock with these (or used to).

Isn't tone chasing fun

Archived