Gibson Brands Forums

Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues_Too Much Alcohol

4Hayden

He used to tear up his Strat. One more gone too soon.

It was so very similar to SRV's Strat in appearance. It's like they liked the paint/finish worn-off to allow the guitar to breath and allow that resonance and warm tone to escape better...

As much as Rory is heralded as a God, I just can't seem to get into him, as much of a Blues nut as I am. He just seemed all over the place to me.

Having said that however there is some of his work that I routinely did in sets in my gigs that were wildly popular and that I consider staples. "Too much Alcohol" being one of them and "I Wonder Who" was another. He had some classic performances; Isle of Wight, backing Muddy Waters, and other great moments that are utterly perfect renditions of Blues classics, including his reverence for Peter Green's work.

When he sang and was front-man, I could just not get myself completely into him. He certainly had a presence and commanded the audience with a kind of electricity and power. I think we're just on different wave-lengths. I'll grant he's better than most and at the very least was very singularly unique in his approach.

I wholly respect and admire him for that! I also revere him as one who carried the torch for The Blues with passion and an intense/driven spiritual calling, even if I don't listen to him much...

Gotta give him kudos for that!

It was so very similar to SRV's Strat in appearance. It's like they liked the paint/finish worn-off to allow the guitar to breath and allow that resonance and warm tone to escape better...

Well, it is said that Rory's sweat was so acidic it removed the finish of his guitar, the body of that strat is maple too. Not exactly a warm wood.

Then there is SRV's strat, if you have watched Live at El Mocambo you understand why his strat looked the way it did.

Well, it is said that Rory's sweat was so acidic it removed the finish of his guitar, the body of that strat is maple too. Not exactly a warm wood.

Then there is SRV's strat, if you have watched Live at El Mocambo you understand why his strat looked the way it did.

Both looked like they had stain remover on them

Rory's Strat is said to have fallow our of a carbon the way home from a gig and live in a ditch in the rain for a few days. After that the finish peeled off.

SRVs #1 Strat had already been reliced when he bought it.

Rory's Strat is said to have fallow our of a carbon the way home from a gig and live in a ditch in the rain for a few days. After that the finish peeled off.

SRVs #1 Strat had already been reliced when he bought it.

Even new guitar makers today are going for that worn/faded look , I guess people want to look like they've been playing said guitar for years.

4H

Archived