Gibson Brands Forums

Early 1950's J-50 saddle material

Fatstrat

My recently purchased 1952 J-50 is at the luthier getting set up/adjusted to make it "all it can be". I do this w/all my guitars post purchase. Luthier called today and said that the original saddle apparently had been glued into the saddle by a previous owner. And that he a difficult time getting it out. And pretty much destroyed the saddle which he said was made of "some kind of plastic like material". Said he's going to make a new bone saddle for it. Which will at least double the cost of the original price estimate on the work. Not really worried about the work or cost. I trust the guy and have used him for several years. Always with great results. But just curious, what were the original saddles made of on these? Was it common that they be glued into the bridge? And has anyone put a bone saddle on this type/vintage of guitar? I expect it should sound killer w/a saddle upgrade. Your experience?

OK...you'll be happy with the bone swap out. It is the optimum conductive material for transferring that top vibration energy into ear candy. Old AND new acoustics liven up under the influence.

Plastic was used a lot. Bone too in early guitars, but most all of us vintage geeks switch to bone for tone. Old J-50's DEFINITELY love it!

Got it back from the luthier today. He said he thinks it was in as left the factory set up condition. And that the saddle was some plastic type material used in the era.

Obviously the new bone saddle, new strings and fresh set up has made a big difference. Man this thing sounds GOOD. And plays better. Very loud.

Archived