Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - NOS 2009 Gibson SG Standard

Heisenberg

I just got my Standard yesterday and overall I'm very pleased. I bought it knowing it was a 3 piece, but in some light it almost seems like a 4 piece. I swear I can see an "extra" seam, like a smaller sliver of wood spliced in near the control cavity. On the bottom edge, I only see two seams. Anyway, at three pieces, since they are more or less equal sized it looks ok, not sure if I like the look of little pieces thrown in there. I know it doesn't make a difference in tone or playability, but purely based on aesthetics...not sure how I feel about the look.

I do like the guitar though, and it's a keeper. [thumbup]

db63z9ecjca99wgn3ael.jpg

opshndc60lr1u1pej7qa.jpg

rnznxa4ka6dmpba9xyf1.jpg

Congrats, looks like a nice buy. To my eyes it's clearly a three-piece body as typical for SG Standards. [thumbup]

Though I couldn't take a look at it, in my guess the look of a splice within the control cavity is probably caused by tooling marks.

Enjoy your great new SG! [biggrin]

Congrats, looks like a nice buy. To my eyes it's clearly a three-piece body as typical for SG Standards. [thumbup]

Though I couldn't take a look at it, in my guess the look of a splice within the control cavity is probably caused by tooling marks.

Enjoy your great new SG! [biggrin]

Thank you!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

BEE-U-TI-FUL!!!! Man I love that finish too!

Don't sweat the number of pieces,seriously! One of the most tuneful guitars I played was a buddy's original 71 Fender Tele. He loaned it to me for a summer when I had numerous gigs and my git was getting a new neck. He was 16 when he got it and ultimately he stripped the finish off of it so it would be like Springsteen's guitar. It was almost a two piece; the horn had a piece "grafted" on-apparently no one thought anything of it as it was a solid color. Didn't really retract from the looks unless you were right up on it- and it CERTAINLY didn't hurt the tone!

PLAY ON BROTHER!

Brian

Archived