Gibson Brands Forums

It's so boring...

ReGuitar

Just imagine...

You are in a concert. It's one of your fav bands and they're playing all their hits. [biggrin]

At this point you are going crazy, you dance, you bang your head and clap your hands and sing along... [thumbup]

Suddenly the lead singer announces: On the guitar - or drums, whatever... - Mr Inflated Ego... [confused]

Hell is unleashed. Mr Ego starts playing all arpeggios and scales (or grooves and fills) he's been practicing for years to show off his skills. Everything is played at the speed of light and, not rarely, musicality is taken apart. [thumbdn]

I really hate when a band stops the concert and some musician - usually guitarists and drummers - starts a solo. It's so boring. [bored]

I mean, not everyone is Hendrix or EVH or Neil Peart, just to name a few, who can really make some eyes shine with their talent and musicality.

I also understand that there are some reasons for that: pad out the concert so the band can play the 2-hour show they were hired for, others musicians need a break, etc.

I'm not saying it's wrong I just don't like that at all.

What about you, guys?

Best Regards

Re

Guest Farnsbarns

I love it. I wish all concerts followed a format where all the band members come out, one by one, and play nothing but solos.

Last time that I saw something like you describe was at the Satriani concert in Burjassot (Valencia).

But this time it was great I didn't expect it. The drum solo stole Satriani the show IMHO.

I think it was Marco Minnemann.

And I think I was not the only thinking that because at the end of the show Minnemann got more applause than Satch himself!msp_flapper.gif

That was fun.

Well, "horses for courses." I, personally, have always been a minimalist, and not one for extended solos,

from anyone. That was done to death, in the '60's, and early 70's! And, it was (often) boring, even

then, except maybe to the "stoners" in the crowd. But, some of it may be expected, by the band's, or

performer's fans. So...whatever works.

CB

So, there's a tourist on an African safari. Off in the distance he hears drums. The drums just keep going and going, and seem to be getting louder and closer.

He asks his guide, "I hear those drums off in the distance, should I be worried?"

The guide replies "no, drums OK, but you should be worried about what comes next!"

"What comes next?" the tourist asks.

The guide answers......... "BASS SOLO!"

True story.

The last time I saw Weather Report was at the Finsbury Park (N London) Rainbow Theatre which was a wonderful venue as anyone who saw concerts there will know.

There was a clock on the wall above the front right stalls exit.

It was the last European tour of the Pastorius/Erskine/Shorter/Zawinul lineup, I don't remember Bobby Thomas being in it at that point.

By this time Weather Report (who were and still are one of my favourite bands) had become very formulaic, with the sets being comprised of a succession of long solo spots bookended by the new material and the closing medley.

Pastorius was obviously becoming detached from the rest of the band although he was still completely integrated in the ensemble playing.

He started his solo and I checked the time shown on the clock.

After HALF AN HOUR (and I am not exaggerating at all by one second) he was receiving a slow handclap and people were catcalling. I got up and left. 30 minutes - and he was still going as I walked out along with a steady stream of other equally pissed-off concertgoers who had paid good money and travelled to the concert. I was furious with Pastorius for (as I thought) derailing my favourite band, and very disappointed that Zawinul and Shorter had let things get that far and that such an incredible live band had become so self-indulgent and out of touch with their audience.

I never saw Weather Report again. A year or 2 later I was driving up Tottenham Court Road (Central London) and saw they were playing at the theatre there. Then I remembered that bloody bass solo and I decided not to go.

The new Weather Report line-up had Victor Bailey on bass and Omar Hakkim on drums; I missed them, but the bootleg of their 1984 Glastonbury appearance shows they were equally self-indulgent with the long solos.

IMO this is different from a player soloing at length while the band backs him/her, though that too can get very tedious. I'm sure we can all name a few examples.

I agree with the OP - good topic, regards!

Once I saw Cindy Blackman do a 45 minute solo at one of those instrument music show things. To start with the hall was full, 10 minutes later about 25% of the audience had left, 30 minutes later there was about 10% of the audience and it ended 45 minutes later with just my drummer friend and I watching in a near empty hall!! That was excessive for me...I mean she is an amazing drummer, but 45 minutes was waaaaay too long.

Usually I do love solos - think John Bonham at the Albert Hall 1970 & Slash with G N' R Tokyo 1991, to me they were great examples of rock soloing. However, sometimes both guys didn't solo quite as well as those examples. I love the live solos the Mahavishnu Orchestra did as well as bands like Mars Volta. My all time favourite guitarist Joe Pass did solo pieces and actual solos incorporated in them throughout his career as did all the Jazz guys. I guess because I love Jazz and Classical as well as rock, country and other styles I love solos generally [thumbup]

Although it was composed, listen to the Violin solo sections in Sibelius' Violin Concerto and to me that is the ultimate solo. Ok, not improvised, but genius in both composition and playing.

I love it. I wish all concerts followed a format where all the band members come out, one by one, and play nothing but solos.

[lol]

Pastorius was obviously becoming detached from the rest of the band although he was still completely integrated in the ensemble playing.

He started his solo and I checked the time shown on the clock.

After HALF AN HOUR (and I am not exaggerating at all by one second) he was receiving a slow handclap and people were catcalling. I got up and left. 30 minutes - and he was still going as I walked out along with a steady stream of other equally pissed-off concertgoers who had paid good money and travelled to the concert. I was furious with Pastorius for (as I thought) derailing my favourite band, and very disappointed that Zawinul and Shorter had let things get that far and that such an incredible live band had become so self-indulgent and out of touch with their audience.

IMO this is different from a player soloing at length while the band backs him/her, though that too can get very tedious. I'm sure we can all name a few examples.

I agree with the OP - good topic, regards!

Exactly, Did Mr Pastorius, a well-known bassist with unquestionable talent, really need that?

Once I saw Cindy Blackman do a 45 minute solo at one of those instrument music show things. To start with the hall was full, 10 minutes later about 25% of the audience had left, 30 minutes later there was about 10% of the audience and it ended 45 minutes later with just my drummer friend and I watching in a near empty hall!! That was excessive for me...I mean she is an amazing drummer, but 45 minutes was waaaaay too long.

Usually I do love solos - think John Bonham at the Albert Hall 1970 & Slash with G N' R Tokyo 1991, to me they were great examples of rock soloing. However, sometimes both guys didn't solo quite as well as those examples. I love the live solos the Mahavishnu Orchestra did as well as bands like Mars Volta. My all time favourite guitarist Joe Pass did solo pieces and actual solos incorporated in them throughout his career as did all the Jazz guys. I guess because I love Jazz and Classical as well as rock, country and other styles I love solos generally [thumbup]

Although it was composed, listen to the Violin solo sections in Sibelius' Violin Concerto and to me that is the ultimate solo. Ok, not improvised, but genius in both composition and playing.

Yes, but Moby D!ck IS A SONG with a drum solo interlude and, Slash's solo is a version of Godfather's Theme, he had the band backing him. In both cases music comes first. I totally agree with you when it comes to Concertos. To play a Violin Concert, for example, musicians have to show skills and musicality.

Best Regards

Re

A lot of even the greats have been known to launch into these hell solo's and just p**s the audience right off, myself included. I've seen examples of Pagey, Walsh, Mossey and even Hendrix do this. They get so self absorbed that they fail to realise what's happening and have gone from having a happy audience to a not so happy crowd. Do solo's by all means, but stay within the context of the song being played. And it's not just the length of time they sometimes take. To be in a group that's up on stage, and your playing a nice, easy going song, and then start out doing a beautiful solo that's complimenting it, to all of a sudden getting very fast and very loud outside the context of the song is just wrong. Bad technique and bad form. I don't like it.

To me a solo should be a well thought out show in itself. A well done solo is a joy to listen too but I have seen many that are not well done. Here is one of my favorites.

It's a concept solo that pays tribute to all the classic riff of old. The random noise between the riffs is supposed to be the static of turning a knob on you radio to the next station before we finally arrive at the song we were looking for.

Everything can be overdone. i guess there are two schools of thought on the topic, one believes the performer should leave it all on the stage, the other believes you should leave them hungry for more.There should be a happy medium, leave the solos for last.

A solo needs to be an integral part of the song. Listen to the old rock and roll songs of the fifties, players like Scotty Moore and James Burton had the solo complement the song and leave the listener clambering for more.

But I know what you mean about the long self indulgent solo break, no I'm not a fan but I do like outros the coda on Layla is just great and fits perfectly with the song..

I can deal with it as long as it's kept within reason. I get everybody wants their "moment in the sun." Please, just don't abuse it.

Now on the other hand, I have never seen a Neil Peart solo (which can run 10 or 12 minutes) that I wasn't absolutely amazed by. Bring it Neil!

By the same token, I always really enjoyed (and looked forward to) the "Drums" segment of a Grateful Dead show. "Space" on the other hand usually sent me to the restroom or the beer concession.

Guess it depends on the artist.

Archived