Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Acoustic

okuley

Hey there guitar experts. I am new to the forum, and also a drummer (excuse my lack of guitar knowledge). I'm hoping someone can help me with this vintage gibson acoustic guitar. I've had it for close to 30 years and have never done more than hang it on the wall. I believe it's 1948-51 era? Based on what I read about logos. It was abandoned in a warehouse and someone gave it to me when they were cleaning it out. I appreciate any help you can give. I can't see any markings inside. post-70263-011811300 1422546405_thumb.jpg

I don't know what model it is. But if it's a vintage Gibson as you say, and in decent at least reparable playing condition, I'll bet it's worth some BIG BUCKS. $3K at least.

I looked up some logo information and found '48-'51 usually has a connected dot to the "G" and an open "b" and "o" which this has, but that's all I've been able to figure out so far. It appears the tuning keys have been replaced.

I looked up some logo information and found '48-'51 usually has a connected dot to the "G" and an open "b" and "o" which this has, but that's all I've been able to figure out so far. It appears the tuning keys have been replaced.

You might get more answers on the Vintage Gibson forum. Kinda looks like an L-50 missing the pichkguard to me.

Looks like maybe an L-50 missing the pick guard. Which would account for the hole on body near the neck. Maybe refinished as "MOST" seen in the pics have some kind of burst finish. Who knows, they may have made some natural finish ones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gibson+L-50+pics&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fl_KVIihEMf_yQT3wYJ4&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=631

Looks like maybe an L-50 missing the pick guard. Which would account for the hole on body near the neck. Maybe refinished as "MOST" seen in the pics have some kind of burst finish. Who knows, they may have made some natural finish ones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gibson+L-50+pics&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fl_KVIihEMf_yQT3wYJ4&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=631

This is a big help, definitely on the right track. I assumed a missing pick guard because of the holes. I think someone may have sanded the top coat off because it's not glassy like most. But not sure if it ever had a burst finish. Thanks for the tip with this.

Need a picture of the entire front of the guitar--including the headstock--to be sure, but it looks like it might be a late-40's or later L-50 that has probably been refinished.

I hate to dampen any enthusiasm, but these are not very valuable, listed as D- in collectability.

Look inside the f-holes with a flashlight to see if there are any numbers anywhere inside the body. In good shape, these go for around $1000, maybe less. If it is refinished, you can cut that by 30%-50%.

I just lucked into a same vintage J-50 myself. And had similar concerns over the finish. Reportedly it's common for vintage Gibson finish to have "checkering" or Cheking". And to be dull in appearance.

The big concerns I would have would be cracks and neck angle. Hanging on the wall is generally a horrible place for a guitar. And humidity or lack of it can cause much damage. See any cracks in the body? Wood cracks, not finish.

Is the guitar playable or are the strings high off the fret board at the 12th fret?

I just lucked into a same vintage J-50 myself. And had similar concerns over the finish. Reportedly it's common for vintage Gibson finish to have "checkering" or Cheking". And to be dull in appearance.

The big concerns I would have would be cracks and neck angle. Hanging on the wall is generally a horrible place for a guitar. And humidity or lack of it can cause much damage. See any cracks in the body? Wood cracks, not finish.

Is the guitar playable or are the strings high off the fret board at the 12th fret?

Looked all over inside with a flashlight as best I could..nothing. Not a single crack in the wood anywhere, the body is in extremely good shape. I would say it's playable and at the 12th fret the strings are very close, not high at all. 1/8 of an inch or less. I have no trouble holding them all down.

Well that sounds good. Now you need to look for some kind of serial numbers. Look inside at the end block where neck meets body if none visible anywhere else. Other than that you've likely gotten about as much info as you're likely to get here.

Gibson isn't real great at definitive build specs info being available. But a serial number is the #1. aspect you need to progress. And/or having it professionally appraised.

More photos would certainly help, and I don't think there is any question of it having had the lacquer stripped from the top at least. Still a really cool guitar to own though. I have a similarly naked Epiphone Blackstone archtop from 1946, worth a similar amount to your Gibson and a really great sounding guitar that holds its own against far more expensive instruments.

Using the guitar's measurements, type of F-holes, inlays, type of wood, headstock, logo, type of bracing etc, one can do a pretty good job of identification using Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars. And yes, any identifying numbers would be a huge help. Just looking at a single pic without seeing everything and having ALL the information it's guess work. A used Gruhn's Guide is like $7 B)

Archived