Gibson Brands Forums

The making of One Vision and Bohemian Rhapsody

Rabs

As far as my experience, Queen and "Bohemian Rhapsody" have an interesting history. A classic case of the public feeding on whatever is fed them power of the record companies and radio.. You play anything on the radio enough, it will become a hit. When "Bohemian Rhapsody" 1st came out in the 1970's, EVERYONE HATED IT! What the heck is this? Who asked for opera rock? Were common comments. It was well into the 1980's before I ever knew anyone who owed a Queen album. But they (Radio) just kept playing it and later their other songs. And eventually they developed a following. IMO it wasn't until "Wayne's World" that it really took off mainstream.

Similar story about Bruce Springsteen. Nobody much cared for "Born to Run" in my local. And when both Time & Life (or was it Newsweek?) magazines proclaimed Springsteen "The savior of Rock & Roll", we thought it was a hoot. Yeah, this is the guy we've been waiting for to save us from Led Zeppelin and Ted Nugent. NOT!

But he had the good sense to buff up and embrace MTV. Whereas most of the rock acts had little if any interest. And the world turned a different direction.

Thanks for posting this. Can't wait to watch.

As part of my New Year's resolution to exercise more I bought the DVD of their concert in Wimbledon stadium from 1986. They opened up the concert with One Vision. It is killer. Makes me cycle that much faster.

As far as my experience, Queen and "Bohemian Rhapsody" have an interesting history. A classic case of the public feeding on whatever is fed them power of the record companies and radio.. You play anything on the radio enough, it will become a hit. When "Bohemian Rhapsody" 1st came out in the 1970's, EVERYONE HATED IT! What the heck is this? Who asked for opera rock? Were common comments. It was well into the 1980's before I ever knew anyone who owed a Queen album. But they (Radio) just kept playing it and later their other songs. And eventually they developed a following. IMO it wasn't until "Wayne's World" that it really took off mainstream.

When they came down here in '72, the played the Sunbury Pop Festival and were booed off stage! Look where they ended up and who got the last laugh. Odd eh. [unsure]

Herewith I'm reporting back from the video trip. [biggrin] Thank you for sharing these clips here, Rabs! [thumbup]

Bohemian Rhapsody has been one of my teenage favorites and still is among my mostly loved songs ever. Viewing the Bechstein grand reminded me of my Mother's 1965 walnut Bechstein piano now owned by my sister. Along with the lyrics, it sent shivers down my spine.

Sorry for my confession about One Vision, but I didn't even know the song. [crying] I found out by research it was released just after I first met my later and now ex-wife, so SHE must be to blame, and, referring to a line of that song, for lots more than one sex position as well... [scared][blush]

BUT... I recognized Roger's Neumann and Freddie's AKG mics, the analog Studer tape recorders, and even the AGFA 2" reel flange - does that count as an apology? [rolleyes]

;)

A pleasure as always sir...

And good to see you around Cap.. you been ok?

Hmmm... OK would be different, but I'm still alive. Moreover, my old Win XP computer could keep up no longer with actual standards, and recently I had the luck to get one for free running Win 7 which brings me back to the web.

Hmmm... OK would be different, but I'm still alive. Moreover, my old Win XP computer could keep up no longer with actual standards, and recently I had the luck to get one for free running Win 7 which brings me back to the web.

Hmm... sounds like you haven't had a good time...

But glad to see you back.. Take it easy [thumbup]

Hmm... sounds like you haven't had a good time...

But glad to see you back.. Take it easy [thumbup]

Sadly I still don't have a good time, but I try taking it as easy as possible. I think it's the only way of successfully going through hard times.

When "Bohemian Rhapsody" 1st came out in the 1970's, EVERYONE HATED IT! What the heck is this? Who asked for opera rock? Were common comments. It was well into the 1980's before I ever knew anyone who owed a Queen album.

Are you kidding? That's the rockinest album that came out in, since like... forever! My friends and I would put it in the old 8-Track and play it over and over and over. Freaking Sonic GENIUS!

Are you kidding? That's the rockinest album that came out in, since like... forever! My friends and I would put it in the old 8-Track and play it over and over and over. Freaking Sonic GENIUS!

All I know is how myself & friends reacted to it. We were all very big rock fans. And Queen, and in particular B-R didn't cut it for us. Really about the only Queen song I ever liked was "Crazy little thing called love". Really dug that rock-a-billy. It was always about guitar for me. I even thought bands like Styx and Supertramp were too heavy on keyboards and not enough guitar. Skynyrd & Nugent were more my style.

Archived