Gibson Brands Forums

Ok, don't kill me :)

Bodaggit

Question for the group:

New (to me) 2008 les paul classic that I'm trying to like. :rolleyes: getting used to the chambered body (just had to play it a BUNCH and it doesn't feel as weird).

So, my question is about the sound. I HATE the 496/500 pickups. Nice and harsh, but I am more of a blues guy and like to have a LOT more control over my tone.

DRay has suggested that I install 550k pots, orange drop caps, and a set of duncan 59s. All of these I plan to do. Then I started googling, and started reading up on GFS and Stewmac pickups.

Sooooo, my question is a little different than the "this vs this" question: I understand the duncans are better. I get it. BUT, for the play out once every other month guy ona budget, are they THAT much better? Anyone have experience with both?

The extreme biased and snobbery is decidedly UNwelcome. :) [biggrin]

Stewy also has a new line of the golden age in a HOT PAF pickup. 9.5k

I'm fixing to instal the Hot alnico 2 in the bridge and a 5 in the neck ( 50's style wiring of course ) putting this in my Classic

For the price... I'm sold on the stewmacs! Not sure if they use the rough cast magnets... but to my ears they are pretty damn close!

Happy hunting! msp_thumbup.gif

Yeah, I 've been reading about those too. I wish they had an exposed coil option! I hate covers. :)

Mainly I am considering the following:

1) SD vintage blues set

2) Stewmac Golden age neck and golden age HOT in bridge

3) GFS Vintage 59s

The way I look at it, if it is an ONLY once a month thing or not that often, I would want to get the BEST out of that limited time possible.

So you could look at it the other way, in that the less you play it, the most you want it to be.

Also, as for opinions on this pup or that, SD's may or may not be the best, but you ARE going to get a good pup and a good sound out of it. That, as opposed to having to wonder if you will like it or not.

I haven't done GFS or Stewmack pups, so I can't say how good or even IF good. And I imagine that's where opinion comes in, and with cheaper pups, taking into account one's opinion also has to account for expectations. Anothers expectations of how "good" is good can be all over the place.

So here is where MY opinion is: When it comes to REPLACING pups for a certain type of sound or quality of sound, I wouldn't even waste my time on cheaper stuff because the money saved isn't worth the effort. I am already putting effort into doing a good job, getting the spec right, guessing what I want and which direction to go. Even as I have done most pups swaps and things as an enjoyable hobby, I don't find it worth it to get the soldering iron hot and disassemble a guitar for good when I could have great.

The price isn't all that different, but the effort and work involved is the same.

I hope that doesn't sound snobbish, it is a little I suppose. If I HAD some of the mentioned pups around I might try them just for kicks, to see what they are like and how "good" they might be. And I certainly don't turn my nose down at those who may like them or have an opinion.

I am more of offering an opinion of perspective. Unless you can really not afford the top-shelf, your own time is money too.

The way I look at it, if it is an ONLY once a month thing or not that often, I would want to get the BEST out of that limited time possible.

So you could look at it the other way, in that the less you play it, the most you want it to be.

Also, as for opinions on this pup or that, SD's may or may not be the best, but you ARE going to get a good pup and a good sound out of it. That, as opposed to having to wonder if you will like it or not.

I haven't done GFS or Stewmack pups, so I can't say how good or even IF good. And I imagine that's where opinion comes in, and with cheaper pups, taking into account one's opinion also has to account for expectations. Anothers expectations of how "good" is good can be all over the place.

So here is where MY opinion is: When it comes to REPLACING pups for a certain type of sound or quality of sound, I wouldn't even waste my time on cheaper stuff because the money saved isn't worth the effort. I am already putting effort into doing a good job, getting the spec right, guessing what I want and which direction to go. Even as I have done most pups swaps and things as an enjoyable hobby, I don't find it worth it to get the soldering iron hot and disassemble a guitar for good when I could have great.

The price isn't all that different, but the effort and work involved is the same.

I hope that doesn't sound snobbish, it is a little I suppose. If I HAD some of the mentioned pups around I might try them just for kicks, to see what they are like and how "good" they might be. And I certainly don't turn my nose down at those who may like them or have an opinion.

I am more of offering an opinion of perspective. Unless you can really not afford the top-shelf, your own time is money too.

This.....is an excellent way to look at it. Totally new perspective. Thanks!

Question for the group:

New (to me) 2008 les paul classic that I'm trying to like. :rolleyes: getting used to the chambered body (just had to play it a BUNCH and it doesn't feel as weird).

So, my question is about the sound. I HATE the 496/500 pickups. Nice and harsh, but I am more of a blues guy and like to have a LOT more control over my tone.

DRay has suggested that I install 550k pots, orange drop caps, and a set of duncan 59s. All of these I plan to do. Then I started googling, and started reading up on GFS and Stewmac pickups.

Sooooo, my question is a little different than the "this vs this" question: I understand the duncans are better. I get it. BUT, for the play out once every other month guy ona budget, are they THAT much better? Anyone have experience with both?

When it comes to passive pickups I've always been a Duncun guy. But my Buddy who plays mainly blues has a 78 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Turned me on to a brand off pickups called Bare Knuckle pickups .. they are hand made and have tons off differant options and lots of video sound bites using the pups for differant styles of music. you should check out there web site.. https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/

Another way to face the problem.

Did you try modifying your electrics to allow coil tapping or splitting? Coil tapping will keep your humbuckers away from hum, and will turn your tone bluesy/jazzy. Coil splitting goes further towards the single coil tone, but you'll get hum.

You can add push-pull pots to switch between settings (original 490R/498T x tap/split modes) easier.

Just don't know if it's feasible with your pups. If it is, you'll definitely get blues tones without exchanging pickups.

These days, the only motivation to change pickups is if you really know what difference a specific alloy will bring to your tone (e.g., Alnico II vs. Alnico V, and ceramic). Otherwise, keep the pups and change the electrics (if possible).

Bog-standard Gibson '57 Classics.

If more and more players are swapping out their standard fare for Boutique p'ups then try to benefit from their 'wisdom' and grab what they are ditching while the grabbing's good.

As far as beautiful 'PAF-tone-replicating-machines' go they don't get much closer (IMO) than this.

P.

Question for the group:

Where are you based?? I know a good UK company who make great pups at a good price....

Ive heard really good things about the GFS pups though... Also another maker is Wolftone.. Again just from what I have head on here they make some really great ones too.

Where are you based?? I know a good UK company who make great pups at a good price....

Ive heard really good things about the GFS pups though... Also another maker is Wolftone.. Again just from what I have head on here they make some really great ones too.

Thanks all. I'm in USA, Ohio.

Another question: My local guitar shop charges $100 for pickup installation. So, I decided to research how to do this. Ummm...is it just me or is installing a pickup for $100 a total ripoff?? It looks kind of easy.

Another one, for '57 Classics (or, as I did, a '57 Classic Plus, in the bridge position, and '57 Classic at the neck).

That, and orange drop caps really helped the sound/tone, a LOT! Now sounds like I remembered Les Paul's sounding, in

my youth, in the '60's! I've heard good things, about the Duncan '59's, too! So, I'm sure either one would get you

where you want to be.

I changed out the "pee yellow/green" fret markers, as well. Results, below.

DSC_3549copy_zps6933247c.jpg

Cheers,

CB

There's many good makers of pups out there these days, and it can get a little confusing sometimes. Too many options. If you want that blues sound then you've got to get back to the PAF sound again. The ceramic sisters are definitely a hard rock sound so you'll have problems trying to use everything else to bend that sound around. Pretty hard to do. So I'd recommend a pup change out.

Now, with Gibson, you really got a couple of choices here. The '57 and '57+combo or the 409R/490T combo. That'll get you back to that bluesie sound. With Seymore Duncans you have a choice of either the '59's or the SD-1n&b. Will get you close as well. Then there's DiMarzio's. Not really sure which models he would have to get that PAF sound but I'm sure he'd have something in the offering. And I hear a lot of good things about those Bare Knuckles as well. So, don't get sold too quick yet on just one type. Keep a broader focus until you have seen all the options, then make a decision.

Personally, to get the blues sound, I'd go the 490R/490T fit. Just my personal choice if that helps any.

Best of luck mate.

Hello!

One more person to recommend the `57 Classics.

One pickup combo I would consider if I wanted to swap them out on any of my guitars is the new Gibson Livebucker (aftermarket version of Custombuckers used on Reissues).

GFS - never, as far as I am concerned.

Cheers... Bence

Bog-standard Gibson '57 Classics.

If more and more players are swapping out their standard fare for Boutique p'ups then try to benefit from their 'wisdom' and grab what they are ditching while the grabbing's good.

As far as beautiful 'PAF-tone-replicating-machines' go they don't get much closer (IMO) than this.

P.

[thumbup]

Stein nailed it. if you go cheaper and end up not happy, what then? you will end up doing another swap. Then its not cheaper

Also, remember that there is a huge used market for pups and you can find used SD's or others for the same as new Stewies. Check ebay,, I even have a couple for auction on there as we speak.

My recommendation if you are thinking SD pups for your use-Seth Lovers. I have them in a Lesley and they are fantastic.

the beauty is in the ear of the beholder, but

the classic 57 and 57+ sound great, but they're a bit expensive. $200 per.

The duncan's are real good,, and a little bit cheaper.. about $150 per pickup.

so it's $300 (Duncans -> good pickups) vs $400 (Gibson's -> Excellent pickups)

If I Was doing this all over again (I already put duncans in my 02 standard) I would have just gone the extra and bought the 57 pair.

I have A 57 Classic at the neck and the Super 57 at the bridge (8.7 output) with coil splitting and they sound great. I usally change out my pups for hotter ones but I'm leaving these ones in. They came stock in my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic.. They are very versatile and you can control the tone very well just from your vol. and tone on the guitar.

http://imgur.com/a/z4f2J

the beauty is in the ear of the beholder, but

the classic 57 and 57+ sound great, but they're a bit expensive. $200 per.

The duncan's are real good,, and a little bit cheaper.. about $150 per pickup.

so it's $300 (Duncans -> good pickups) vs $400 (Gibson's -> Excellent pickups)

If I Was doing this all over again (I already put duncans in my 02 standard) I would have just gone the extra and bought the 57 pair.

psst...depending on what covers/number conductors, classic 57s are as low as $85 on amazon.com. they are an authorized gibson dealer btw.

i love the 57s in my 2014 lp signatue. with the boost and push/pull pots, i cant really think of a tone that i cant get. they do it all. i play the gamut from pantera to andy william lol. they do it all and are really some of the best pups ive ever had.

Archived