Gibson Brands Forums

J-35 tuning issue

SonofSkywalker

Hi I'm having a problem with my J-35 ....

when I tune the high E string with a tuner, the tuner says it's in tune but the string is way sharp so I always have to tune it down to pitch by ear.

It's only started doing this lately and I can't really work out why... The only change I've made is to D'Addario 12's strings instead of using Elixir HD Lights

Would changing string type and gauge make a tuning problem occur ?

I'm thinking of taking it in to see the guitar tech at my local store to see what he thinks the problem is

I'm still loving my J-35 the top is starting to darken now and the guitar seems to be starting to open up tone wise, it's my favourite guitar and it's getting played everyday.

I have been considering getting the tech to fit a bone saddle and pins, I was thinking about changing the pickup to a Baggs lyric but the tech suggested me trying a Baggs Para DI first

Any input would be great thanks guys

May be more a tuner tuning issue than a J-35 tuning issue. Some clip-on tuners don't pick up the low E very well; if that is happening, try clipping it between the 5th & 6th string tuners to pick up vibrations better. Also- batteries dwindling will not pick up well, especially on a larger guitar like the J-35, compared to a smaller or punchier guitar like your Taylor 322e. Did you ever try squeezing the clip on part of the tuner a bit while tuning uncooperative strings? ..this usually helps. Hitting the 12th fret harmonic often yields a fairly true signal, too.

As an overall backup that is "free," if you have a "smart phone," download the free tuner app from Martin's web site. It gives a tone or a cute little dial that sez if you're in tune or not.

As a onetime pitchpipe user before "tuners" were were invented, I have a tendency if it ain't loud around me just to use the tone on my Samsung Android. it comes for the iphone too...

m

Yes, I've settled into using the free app I have on my Samsung Android as well. Gave my tuner to a friend. One less electronic device and battery replacement to worry about. I find it very accurate. Though it sometimes takes a few plucks, especially on low E.

As an overall backup that is "free," if you have a "smart phone," download the free tuner app from Martin's web site. It gives a tone or a cute little dial that sez if you're in tune or not.

As a onetime pitchpipe user before "tuners" were were invented, I have a tendency if it ain't loud around me just to use the tone on my Samsung Android. it comes for the iphone too...

m

Another vote for pitch pipes from me.

Still use them.

Hi there,

I had an similar issue with my H-Bird lately. After a string change the guitar was kind of untunable. I changed the saddle, adjusted the truss rod, tried nut sauce on the nut and the bridge. (I usually only use nut sauce on my bigsby equipped electric).

I was almost ready to take it to a tech, but then I decided to change the strings again. Turned out the set I used before was bad. New strings (and well yeah, a different brand this time) and all my tuning issues were gone.

I see this too sometimes on all my guitars. I have a Peterson Strobo-clip tuner that I like much more than the Snark. But I just use the tuner to get "into the ballpark". I then play a bunch of chords and fine tune to my taste.

Over the years regarding tuning, I've discovered I have to learn each guitar's quirks and personality in order to optimize tuning. No guitar is the same and as a result I have to tune each one just a bit differently but nearly always very slightly detune the high E & B a couple cents. And it's even more critical for me since I play in DADGAD and the high strings are tuned lower to begin with. On one guitar, I'll tune using octaves; on another I'll use both octaves and 5ths; on another I'll use harmonics to achieve the most accurate tuning for THAT guitar. I've not had any tuning issues with my J-35 but still tune the high A & D about 2 cents lower, along with the low D. When capoing, I place the capo directly on the fret (like Tony Rice and many others) which avoids any string stretch and pulling the strings sharp. I never have to retune when using a capo. So it's important to learn each guitar's tuning quirks and what works best for each guitar.

As johnny mentioned, it's possible to get a bad set of strings. I've had two sets of Adamas 1818 where the bass string was about 5 cents sharp when fretting that string or on the 12th fret harmonic. Drove me nuts. Switched the Adamas 6th with a Martin M540 6th and intonation was perfect.

Also, it's possible for a nut slot to be cut incorrectly, allowing the string to rest at a point just ahead of the front edge of the nut, which changes the scale length. As a result, when that sting is correctly tuned open using a tuner, when fretted, the intonation will be off.

DC

Tuning can certainly be a bit hit and miss now and again, but my Snark seems to do a great job with my J45 custom with Masterbuilt strings :)

However this guy is sure we are all doing it wrong...

http://youtu.be/8tfxy_zs0Mo

I wimped out and watched the 10-minute version of his tuning video. I actually found it useful. Not sure I could have sat through an hour on tuning, however.

Thanks for all the advice guys it's really appreciated I think I'll change the strings for a new set.

I've downloaded a iPhone tuning app now and have noticed it differs slightly from the snark clip on

I'll report back once I've changed out the strings [thumbup]

Archived