Gibson Brands Forums

Loose jack

Wayne8

I've got a pretty new EJ200CE and the output jack is really loose. I tried turning it from the outside but I can tell from the resistance that the inner part of the jack is turning, too, and the more I turn, I feel the wires that are attached to the jack tightening up. So I figured the only thing I could do was take the strings off and grab the jack from the inside while I turned the outside. My arm won't go in far enough. Is there a trick I'm missing or do I have to take it to the shop? Is this something they can easily fix, there in the shop? Where I bought it they have no onsite tech. I can take it in Saturday but I need it Sunday.

It does still work but I'm afraid to trust it now.

I have one of these for my electric's. Best $20 I ever spent:

http://jacktight.com/diy-guitar-repair-tools/guitar-tools-repair/jacktight-acoustic-kit/

That looks pretty cool Dennis. I have that same ongoing issue with all my acoustic/electrics with the exception of a Takamini 12 string. Their solution is to mount the jack to small metal plate and mount the plate to the bottom of the guitar with 4 small screws. I am not really a fan of the guitar, but Iam a fan of its jackplate.

I was able to drop it off at lunch and I'll pick it up tomorrow but I'm definitely investing in one of those kits.

Thanks!

Good for you, but yeah, that $20 will save you over the long haul. I love mine. It's just become part of my "string change/setup" routine on my electrics.

You can also get a 1/4" wall anchor(ya know the blue ones).Put it in the jack input(just enough to be snug. Don't push it in very far), and put a drywall screw into it and while holding the anchor with a pair of needle nose pliers tighten the screw up. Not too tight but when the anchor will not turn while you are putting the screw in you can stop. Then take your wrench and tighten the nut on the jack-input. Loosen the screw some and pull the anchor straight out. Works every time for me, and cheep. Same principal as the jacktight tool.

When reinstalling the jack on my Dot Studio I found pluging a lead in actually created enough resistance to get the nut tightened up sufficiently.

Having said that those Jacktites are fantastic tools and def on the shopping list

You can also get a 1/4" wall anchor(ya know the blue ones).Put it in the jack input(just enough to be snug. Don't push it in very far), and put a drywall screw into it and while holding the anchor with a pair of needle nose pliers tighten the screw up. Not too tight but when the anchor will not turn while you are putting the screw in you can stop. Then take your wrench and tighten the nut on the jack-input. Loosen the screw some and pull the anchor straight out. Works every time for me, and cheep. Same principal as the jacktight tool.

Who'd a thunk, huh? Great alternative but if you're mostly all thumbs like me... [scared][confused] In any event, there ya go!

Archived