Gibson Brands Forums

Just how "rare" was this case?

62burst

Hard to say how rare it actually may have been. There are so many out there. I will say for myself, after dabbling in the vintage case world, I was lucky to break even when I decided I needed the space back more than I needed the cases. They are cool relics but it's a specialized and narrow market.

Pretty similar to a case I have that I bought in the 1960's. Decent case, but no better than current Gibson cases. Nothing particularly special, unless you have a guitar from that period that needs a case. You can buy a decent new Gibson case for the same money or less.

Unless it's a vintage redline case, or a vintage Lifton cali girl case, I'm not particularly interested in vintage cases. Very often, a modern case offers better fit and protection than most vintage cases.

I have one with purple lining that looks just like that, only it doesn't have that brass plate. Mine is in terrible condition, I'm afraid.

Mine came with my dad's '60s or '70s Gibson (J-50 or J-55, I think--square-shoulder mahogany/spruce, natural top, arched back as I remember it and not a Gospel), but it was never a very good case. The modern Gibson cases are much better, just not anywhere near the charm.

Archived