Gibson Brands Forums

Does my new Les Paul need to be "set up"?

skilsaw

I don't have a good ear for music, but even I can hear notes that tend to be a little sharp when I push the string down at the fret.

It was first noticable when I played a C cord. Rather than sound round and mellow, it was discordant or out of tune. I'd re-tune carefully using the tuner on my amp and try again. When all the strings are the right pitch when played as open strings, it sounds good. Then I'd finger a fret and the tuner would indicate that the new note was a little sharp. The tuner indicates that notes of the first, second and third fret of each string are all a little sharp.

Can this be fixed? Or could it be that the tuner is off? The amp I am using is a Fender Mustang III

What do you think? I want to have some idea of my options when I discuss it with my teacher next Friday.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

It's the nut mate. It's cut just a little too high and so when you press down with your finger, the string has a little further to travel downwards to the fretboard. When this happens, the string in effect is being shortened a bit more than what it should be for that position, as a consequence, the note becomes sharper. And that's what your hearing. Your nut needs to be re-cut by a luthier or good techie.

It's not unusual to have a brand new guitar having to have a complete set-up job and sometimes including a nut job. Had it happen to me about 6 months ago. A brand new Trad, and it not only needed everything from a neck relief to action/intonation done, but the nut re-cut too. What I usually have my luthier do is whenever I need a neck job done, I now have him change from the gibson nut to a GraphTech graphite nut. They're great, I've never had any further probs after that. Worth considering maybe?

And by the way, there's nothing wrong with your ear. It picked up this prob so it must be good mate, well done. [thumbup]

+1 to above comment.

Most of the time, ALL new guitars should get in for a proper inspection/setup.

My opinion also.

I'm sharing this opinion, too. Any brand-new guitar will undergo certain changes during the first period of her lifespan, and any factory setup can be just a guess. Changes in climate and choice of different string brand and/or gauges are factors which come to my mind first. Therefore it's a good advice to perform a complete setup of a new guitar or having it done.

These are things you can check by yourself. This actually sounds like the intonation is off, not a nut issue. But, fretting too hard can also be the problem. Recent Gibsons have tall frets and require a light touch.

Nut height can be checked by fretting the string at the 3rd fret and checking the clearance at the first fret, it should be almost touching the first fret.

Check intonation using your tuner, tune the open string. Then, hit the 12th fret harmonic on that same string, they should be the same note. If the harmonic is sharp, lengthen the string, if it is flat, shorten the string. This is done by moving the saddle one way or the other.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll tell the clerk at the store the problem and suggest the nut needs to be cut a little deeper, or the intonation needs adjusting... He, he. The clerk will think I know what I'm talking about. The shop sends the guitars out to a technician or luthier that does the work. Maybe just tell them and demonstrate the problem, leaving what needs to be done up to the technician.

This forum is a great place to get information from passionate guitarists who know their stuff.

Yeah, it probably does, at least to YOUR liking! Factory spec's are a good compromise, or "general" set-up!

But, a lot can happen to it, between the factory, and your purchase. Shipping, handling, humidity, temps in

storage, or delivery trucks, etc. So, I ALWAYS have my new guitars set up to my preferences, including getting

a "bone" nut, to replace the stock Corian (until this year's) nuts. From that point on, I can (usually) make

whatever adjustments needed, for seasonal weather changes (mostly humidity). But, if in doubt, I always take

it back to my dealer's Luthier, for anything I'm not comfortable doing.

CB

The trad I had issue's with had a Pliek cut nut and the nut was still way off. Needed re-cutting.

And like most other Gibby models, the frets are the 6130 medium jumbo's (equal width to height ratio fret). Standard fret. You can or not go sharp on any fret, 6130's not withstanding.

All my strats I fit with 6105 mini jumbo's (Half width to height ratio), and they can go sharp if mashed down too.

And it's not an intonation prob. This is happening ALL 6 strings, 1,2 &3rd frets. Your intonation can be spot on (or off) and still go sharp with an off nut. The notes are only going sharp up near the nut. Smoking gun.

Get the nut re-cut or changed out mate.

I don't have a good ear for music, but even I can hear notes that tend to be a little sharp when I push the string down at the fret.

It was first noticable when I played a C cord. Rather than sound round and mellow, it was discordant or out of tune. I'd re-tune carefully using the tuner on my amp and try again. When all the strings are the right pitch when played as open strings, it sounds good. Then I'd finger a fret and the tuner would indicate that the new note was a little sharp. The tuner indicates that notes of the first, second and third fret of each string are all a little sharp.

Can this be fixed? Or could it be that the tuner is off? The amp I am using is a Fender Mustang III

What do you think? I want to have some idea of my options when I discuss it with my teacher next Friday.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

I'm not certain it is an issue with the nut. I am certain you should take it to a GOOD tech for a set up. If you are bringing it into guitar center, they are known to use poor techs/shops to do their repairs (depending on the store of course). I would search yelp for places in your area or talk to fellow guitar players in your area where they go.

It's the nut mate. It's cut just a little too high and so when you press down with your finger, the string has a little further to travel downwards to the fretboard. When this happens, the string in effect is being shortened a bit more than what it should be for that position, as a consequence, the note becomes sharper. And that's what your hearing. Your nut needs to be re-cut by a luthier or good techie.

It's not unusual to have a brand new guitar having to have a complete set-up job and sometimes including a nut job. Had it happen to me about 6 months ago. A brand new Trad, and it not only needed everything from a neck relief to action/intonation done, but the nut re-cut too. What I usually have my luthier do is whenever I need a neck job done, I now have him change from the gibson nut to a GraphTech graphite nut. They're great, I've never had any further probs after that. Worth considering maybe?

And by the way, there's nothing wrong with your ear. It picked up this prob so it must be good mate, well done. [thumbup]

I understand that temperature changes, storage and time may affect the neck so you might need a set up to compensate. However, there is a factory spec to a set up, string height that each and every guitar should ahere to, they are don't just screw on the bridge, glue on the nut, file down a few times and put on the string and send it out right.

So, if they are within the factory spec. Why would it need a new nut?

Turning the truss rod, yes.

Raising or lowering the bridge, yes.

New nut? I'd want a refund or get them to pay for it.

Getting a new nut on a brand new guitar for me means the factory didn't do it correctly.

It has nothing to do with persnoal preference, it was just badly cut on the manufactoring defect.

I fully agree with you Kuma. I would personally think it is highly unusual, however, it does happen, and it's happened to me before. About 6 months ago in fact. It was so far out of wack that it was removed, binned, and replaced with a GraphTech nut. How does something like this happen? I don't know, I don't work at that factory. Several things I do believe and know.

Just MPO, the corian nuts are too soft and the strings do cut through them. 6-12 months of playing a new guitar and many a time it has had to go to my techie for a replacement.

Example: New git, happy chappy. 6 months down the track, the nut was cut through enough to need replacing, so it was done. Not exactly happy but it happens. I accept that. A further 6 months down the track, same issue again. Nut replaced again. Definitely starting to loose my sense of humour by this time. 4 or 5 months further again and the same problem. Nut removed a third time and replaced with a GraphTech. It's now been just over 4 years since the last time and the nut is still like brand new. Why? I don't know. I don't do R&D for Gibby. I as an owner simply react, as you would.

I have over a dozen LP's and they all get played. The graphite nuts are on about 9 of them now and slowly working through the rest. Plus both 1275's. All my Strats have LSR roller nuts fitted. No issues with them either.

The evidence is not fact, I'll agree. It's anecdotal at best. However, irrifutable evidence it is, no denying or disputing. And after being around and playing guitars for over 45 years now, I know a nut job when I hear it. A straight foreward job for someone who know's what he's doing. I just hope this kid doesn't wind up out of pocket for the experience. Inconvenienced, yes, lighter in the wallet, no.

And keep our chins up, have a bit of a laugh, and get on with playing.

ive literally never been to a guitar center without cringing at some point. I've never given them any money. I just go when I'm near one because hey it's music stuff and I don't have many options where I live. There's just been too many times when those salesman have made me bust out with laughter at some of the things they've said. It's really fun to ask questions about stuff you really know and listen to their explanations. Really fun.

New nut? I'd want a refund or get them to pay for it.

Getting a new nut on a brand new guitar for me means the factory didn't do it correctly.

It has nothing to do with persnoal preference, it was just badly cut on the manufactoring defect.

That's right. I'm just trying to save the kid some heartache, time, and possibly money here.

I've been in a situation before (before Chris, my techie), where brand new from the factory, and it sounded like a bucket of garbage. So off to the shop for a complete set-up (relief, action, intonation). Now there's $150 right there. Bring it home and, bingo, going sharp up around the 1,2, &3rd fret. Off to the shop again, this time for a nut change out. New nut $100, fit $100, then another set-up again $150, total second time, $350. Add that to the first visit and there's $500 I've had to spend further on top of the purchase price. This is $500 I've had to spend before I've even got to use it. $500 on something the factory shoud've taken care of before it was even sold to me. Happy? Not.

Archived