Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD!

PeteWilson

Yesterday, I acquired a new to me, '56 Gold Top Reissue. I had been watching this guitar on Craigs List for about 2 months. Yesterday, the price dropped $100 and I sprang into action. Had it bought and back home by 0930!

The thing looks like it has been played twice! New strings will be installed today or tomorrow. I was worried that the sound would be too close to the '61 SG reissue, that I have, but it was an entirely different deal!

I will post pictures when I take them! Soon!

Play well!

Pete

Here it is!

20150131_093350.jpg

Those are reflections on the back. Not a scratch on it!2015-01-31%2009.51.24.jpg

Yesterday, I acquired a new to me, '56 Gold Top Reissue. I had been watching this guitar on Craigs List for about 2 months. Yesterday, the price dropped $100 and I sprang into action. Had it bought and back home by 0930!

The thing looks like it has been played twice! New strings will be installed today or tomorrow. I was worried that the sound would be too close to the '61 SG reissue, that I have, but it was an entirely different deal!

I will post pictures when I take them! Soon!

Play well!

Pete

They are great guitars . Cant wait to see it Pete . Here is my 56 in Chicago Blue

Pete,

Man that thing looks beautiful! I've not been Les Paul guy but that guitar is making me drool all over myself ~ P90's and all!!

Tell us about your Deluxe Reverb. I am positive that guitar and amp together can not be beat!! I ended up with a Vox AC15C1X and have zero regrets but the DR was top'O list when I made that decision…

I may have to end up with a DR before it's over!

Pete,

Man that thing looks beautiful! I've not been Les Paul guy but that guitar is making me drool all over myself ~ P90's and all!!

Tell us about your Deluxe Reverb. I am positive that guitar and amp together can not be beat!! I ended up with a Vox AC15C1X and have zero regrets but the DR was top'O list when I made that decision…

I may have to end up with a DR before it's over!

Joe, the DR is the best sounding and playing amp I have ever owned, or likely will ever own. I play mostly clean, and it has that wonderful warm tube amp sound. A good friend told me that if I crank it up to 4.5 or 5 or so, it starts to break up nicely. I usually have it at 4 and control the volume with the guitar. I also use it in conjunction with the Princeton Chorus, to be able to use the chorus feature. I run the guitar into the Princeton, then out of the effects portion of the amp into a Ditto X2, and from the looper into the DR. Sounds wonderful together. I will likely never sell that DR!

Thanks for your kind words, by the way! DR and P90s are a marriage made in heaven!

Play well,

Pete

Good CL snag on yer new '56 GTLP, I have one and agree, it's a stunning guitar! What I don't have, and have been eyeballin', is a 61 reissue SG. You mentioned these 2 did not sound similar, could you describe that a bit?

thumbsup!

Good CL snag on yer new '56 GTLP, I have one and agree, it's a stunning guitar! What I don't have, and have been eyeballin', is a 61 reissue SG. You mentioned these 2 did not sound similar, could you describe that a bit?

thumbsup!

ScottO!

I have been thinking about how to tell you how the '61 SG sounds. The best I can do is a comparison. My '61 SG compared to my SG Pro, is about the same as my Les Paul Classic compared to my '56 Gold Top. All of them sound wonderful to my ear. The P90s on the '61 can go from sweet to mean in about a second. I play mostly clean, but occasionally I will use just a touch of distortion, and the '61 shines with that! It can be mellow enough to play a little jazz, but it was meant to play blues, in my opinion.

I was worried that the '61 and the '56 would sound similar, but they do not. The difference, I think, is in the construction of the guitars. The SG is just solid mahogany whereas the '56 is mahogany with a maple top. That makes the difference.

Hope this helps.

Play well

Pete

ScottO!

I have been thinking about how to tell you how the '61 SG sounds. The best I can do is a comparison. My '61 SG compared to my SG Pro, is about the same as my Les Paul Classic compared to my '56 Gold Top. All of them sound wonderful to my ear. The P90s on the '61 can go from sweet to mean in about a second. I play mostly clean, but occasionally I will use just a touch of distortion, and the '61 shines with that! It can be mellow enough to play a little jazz, but it was meant to play blues, in my opinion.

I was worried that the '61 and the '56 would sound similar, but they do not. The difference, I think, is in the construction of the guitars. The SG is just solid mahogany whereas the '56 is mahogany with a maple top. That makes the difference.

Hope this helps.

Play well

Pete

It's not just that one is mahogany and one has a maple top. (In fact, I believe most Epiphone LP's have an alder cap with a maple veneer if the finish is transparent). The SG is relatively thin, while the LP is thicker. Also, the arched top on the LP creates more density and thickness under the strings, which also has an effect on the sound. My experience with SG's and LP's with the same type of pickups is that the SG's sound brighter and crisper while the LP's sound darker, thicker and warmer.

It's not just that one is mahogany and one has a maple top. (In fact, I believe most Epiphone LP's have an alder cap with a maple veneer if the finish is transparent). The SG is relatively thin, while the LP is thicker. Also, the arched top on the LP creates more density and thickness under the strings, which also has an effect on the sound. My experience with SG's and LP's with the same type of pickups is that the SG's sound brighter and crisper while the LP's sound darker, thicker and warmer.

Thanks for the better explanation!

100 dollars? hory clap.. what a steal...

I wish! The guy went down $100, I actually paid less than $300, which I think is still a steal!

ScottO!

Hope this helps.

Play well

Pete

thank you, there's now a cherry red 61 SG reissue in my immediate future!

I wish! The guy went down $100, I actually paid less than $300, which I think is still a steal!

I've been looking for one of these. If you paid less than $300, you did great. Now you just need to find me one at that price! :)

I missed this when you first posted it Pete.

Man!! ..... I'm big-time green with envy!

As I've posted before ..... I've been looking for a nice gold-top like that.

Great deal!!! .... and I'm very happy for you! [thumbup]

Have fun,

Gary

[quote name='dbrian66' I've been looking for one of these. If you paid less than $300, you did great. Now you just need to find me one at that price! :)

+1 .... Make it two at that price!! :)

+1 .... Make it two at that price!! :)

Thanks, Gary and Brian!

I watched this guitar on Craigslist for two months. There are others on the list, but they were $400-450. Heck, I can buy a new one for $500! This guys finally went down on his price and I bought it. Perseverance, Gentlemen, perseverance and patience!

I am loving this thing! I also have a 2001 Les Paul Classic, which I hot-rodded with Gibson 496R and 500T pickups. I like this one better!

Play well, Gentlemen!

Pete

Archived