Gibson Brands Forums

Latest Toy - demo clip added now

surfpup

Since I've been lusting after a B-Bender Tele for years, I decided to try one of the Rolling Benders in the Tele I already had. I figured $150 was better than $1500 for the Fender model with the installed Bender. This one is totally non-invasive so it can be removed easily. Install was pretty easy. Getting it adjusted for the right pull takes longer than installing it, but so far it seems to work like a charm.

IMG_4629.jpg

Sitting by the saddle the two-piece Rolling Bender replaces

IMG_4632_2.jpg

Done

IMG_4634_2.jpg

Very cool! It looks as if this unit could be installed on just about any of the strings. Is that the case?

Yes, any pair - the bottom on will be the one that bends. Larger, wound string would not likely fit through the hole, but they will customize that for you on order. You can also run more than one - like add a G bender - but it's hard to push just one lever in that case. They do make a "puller" for it, but you have to drill a hole through the body and attach the puller to your belt loop.

They also make them for Strat style bridges. They areone string saddle instead of the 2 string barrel style. Thinking about sticking one of those on my lap steel. Very ingenious device and built like a tank from solid billet brass.

Ever imagine how silly we all must sound to non guitar player? Talking about things like our non invasive B benders? :rolleyes:

[lol] True. We do have our own language sometimes. In fact I was installing it last night and my wife was having a nail party (don't ask). So I cut through the living room to get a beer. One of her friends asked what I was working on in the garage, and I said "putting a B-Bender on a Tele" - the blank stares were priceless. I made my exit quickly since I knew explaining would be a long and perhaps futile process. :blink:

That thing looks ingenious indeed. [thumbup] Glad you're fine with it, Surfpup! [cool]

Appreciated. Of course I still have to figure out how to use it well! [scared] I spent all these years faking B Bender licks. Gotta rethink some stuff now.

Congrats - lookin' good!

So it is held in place by the saddle screw and the B-string still goes through the body (Edit - yeah - just found the web page!)

http://www.rollingbender.com/

That's what I thought at first, but no. Turns out the string sits in the top brass part. It has

like a claw that holds the ball end. The instructions were not the best, but I consulted this

vid of a Strat install. You can see the string placement at about 3:50.

The simple ideas are really the best ones. I went in another direction some time back with a Duesenberg Multibender, but ultimately couldn't get along with it - too much in the way, operation felt weird to me... this one looks straightforward.

The simple ideas are really the best ones. I went in another direction some time back with a Duesenberg Multibender, but ultimately couldn't get along with it - too much in the way, operation felt weird to me... this one looks straightforward.

Pretty simple - the only adjustment is pushing it down with the heel of the hand is not particularly intuitive. That's gonna take some getting used to.

Dave..."B" benders have been around since the 70s that I know of. I believe the originals were called Parsons/White benders. I think Marty Stuart might have one of the very first ones if not Thee first one.

I've been an admirer of Paisley's guitar work for about 10 years. The guy is a great player no doubt. There was another device called a "palm pedal" that could be applied to your guitar. I know a guy in L.A. that has four of them on his Es335. Only the low "E": and "A" strings aren't connected to them. He is a master at mimicking pedal steel.

I believe the originals were called Parsons/White benders. I think Marty Stuart might have one of the very first ones if not Thee first one.

Yeah, Gene Parsons and Clarence White. I believe Gene Parsons is still building and installing them - for about $1200. Joe Glaser build them too - differently but still with major mods to the guitar. I think we have a member here who has an old Tele with an original Parsons-White bender, so maybe he will jump in.

Here's a gut shot of Clarence's old one - the one Marty Stuart has.

Zzzvintage3.jpg

And this is what the newer versions look like...

LongStrokeback.jpg

Quick vid of me wrestling with it... you'll see I'm no Brad Paisley! Tried to show the hand/lever

motion, but maybe I should have gotten closer to the computer. You may also notice I have some of

the Electro Harmonix B9 pedal in there too (my other new toy) until I pull it out at the end with

the volume pedal.

Well it sounds really good - are you on the neck pup?

Yes Marty Stuart owns Clarence White's original B-bender Tele and here it is on an instrumental called "Hummingbyrd"

- he's a bit, er....overdressed but the playing's great -

And these licks are worth a listen!

http://www.stringbender.com/lessons.php

Regards!

Yes Marty Stuart owns Clarence White's original B-bender Tele and here it is on an instrumental called "Hummingbyrd"

- he's a bit, er....overdressed but the playing's great

Thanks, man. One day I'll get the real deal like yours. Isn't Marty always a bit over dressed? [biggrin] I love what he does on that song.

I'll definitely check those lessons out. The "tips" are funny!

Signs You're Playing TOO MANY Bender Licks

Your band fires the pedal steel player.

You only keep one string on your guitar- the B string.

You can't remember how you played without a Bender.

Bridge pickup actually with some treble rolled off. I think the mic rolled it off a bit more since I'm using a 70s DR and a 70s Princeton. It's generally pretty spanky, but it does not sound so here.

Archived