Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (old guitar day) Les Paul Class 5 Custom Shop. Just look at that top !

Raymond Lin

Following on from the previous thread, here I am, a Les Paul owner !

do miss the Custom 22 but this is also so good ! It is a different kind of good but this also feels right. There is just something here.

I went in to World Guitars here in England, sat down in the corner of the demo room, plugged into a Matchless, played a chord and there it is !

The guitar is not spotless like a PRS, the binding has a micro step down from the wood (compare to precision smooth on the binding on my Taylor), the finish is not as shiny like poly but It feels right, the weight is also just right for me. I think it would be weird if it was under 8lbs like a Custom 24 for a guitar of this girth.

and that tone ! That's the ticket !

40feroq.jpg

L45Ac51.jpg

agTVmgO.jpg

u9YECOe.jpg

xPIA1uI.jpg

Sweet looking guitar Ray, and a good trade. While any quality guitar must exhibit exceptional build quality and beauty, tone is #1 on my list of importance. Of course, you need to bond with it first to even consider owning it. No sense owning an expensive instrument if it doesn't inspire you.

Cheers everyone.

Love this guitar. Do you know what is weird....

I bought the PRS Custom 22 Special because it can do a lot of sounds, it has 2 Humbuckers, it also has a single coil in the centre, and there is also Coil Tap for the Humbuckers.

6EngNTt.jpg

But you know what?

The Les Paul has many many sounds on it's own as well, with just the volume and tone knobs and the 3 way switch. It makes the Custom 22 seem almost too complicated. It's more natural just to roll the volume knob for clean. Then there is also that fatness that the PRS just didn't have. I mean the Custom 22 is good, don't get me wrong, it was a brilliant guitar in its own right but this Les Paul is just more?

And Les Paul and Bogner, so good !

GvxKepG.jpg

Ray, your new LP is beautiful. I have several Les Pauls and several PRS custom 22's. They're all fantastic guitars, just different! You can't go wrong with either. However, the AAAAA top on your new Class 5 is one of the best I have seen! Enjoy!

Archived