Gibson Brands Forums

G-Force vs Tuner - Sharp D string

WDeranged

After using Amplitube's tuner to set intonation on my new 2015 SG Special I decided to check the general tuning accuracy of the G-Force. It's mostly accurate (especially on the highest sensitivity) but I've noticed my D string is consistently 3-4 cents sharp. I can even manually correct the tuning so it's bang on and the G-Force will always tune it sharp again.

Often the G string tunes sharp and the E string tunes flat but most of the time it's close enough, it's just the D string that's always sharp. I've reset the device several times and re-ran calibration but so far no luck.

Anyone have an idea what's going on?

*edit*

I should add that I can hear the 'warble' of the sharp D when I compare harmonics with another string, it's not just showing sharp on the tuner, it really is sharp.

My snark always agrees with the g-force but the tuner built into amplitube can detect far smaller changes in pitch.

It says the D string is sharp and I tend to believe it, I just wonder if I need to give the unit a few days to 'learn' my guitar, seems funny none of the other strings are so far out though.

*edit*

I should add that I can hear the 'warble' of the sharp D when I compare harmonics with another string, it's not just showing sharp on the tuner, it really is sharp.

Since no intervals except for octaves are pure in equal temperament, no whatever harmonic besides those of E1st and E6th will match when tuned correctly.

It's looking like it was a string intonation issue, not 100% sure but it seems to have been solved. The E and G strings still tune a bit loose but I'm hoping intonation really is the key.

It also could be an impurely wound string, or a string gone impure by windings stuck at bridge or nut. Tuning up a wound string has to stretch the windings consistently, or it will become impure in itself.

I encounter this problem very rarely, but during last year I had to deal with one A5th and two D4ths of that kind. Intonation adjustment improved performance for just a few frets. In case of both the D4ths I had to set the string saddle significantly below scale, so the strings had to be heavier close to the bridge. No tuner of whatever make detected pitch correctly, I had to tune them by ears and comparisons - no harmonics, fretted notes only. The strings simply didn't have any clearly recognizable fundamental or harmonic although they didn't sound like that in an obtrusive manner - they just lacked a little sustain.

By the way, the D4th troubles happened on an Ibanez guitar, the A5th thing on a Gibson with Corian nut, but whatever, in my guess the strings theirselves are likely to have been the culprits.

If after setting your accuracy the tuner is still not tuning on all strings , you can set the pitch window accuracy discussed on page 34 of the Tronical Manual. If the manual you have does not have that setting instruction then download direct from Tronical. I found that it cured issues I was having!

Thanks for the replies, the D string issue has definitely been resolved and it seems to be picking up the E string better now. My only remaining concern with the G-Force is the uneven sound of the tuners, the G tuner in particular sounds and feels a bit different from the others.

I agree with the sentiment that this robot tuner is not as accurate as it's made out to be by Gibson. At the cost of approx. $100 or R1,100 in South Africa, you would want accuracy and more accuracy. I understand from my country's importer that from now on ALL Gibson LP's WILL have the G-Force on them, yet Gibson says you still have a choice to take the conventional tuner meant for your LP.

The positive about G-Force is that with a badly out of tune guitar, it takes seconds to come to pitch and if you hear an off pitch string, you can turn the tuner manually, albeit the ratio is very high, thus it's slow.

And, of course, the amount of useful non standard tunings that a novice might never get to do, is now literally at your fingertips within seconds!

Traditionalists will not like this but even they can open their minds to its usefulness for less adept guitarists.

Gibson should not make the mistake of forcing the G-Force onto the buying public. It may cause a whole new deranged used market...

Archived