Gibson Brands Forums

Tribute to Dlck Wagner & Steve Hunter

Fatstrat

These guys were two of the "Top Gun" R&R session guitarists back in the 1970's. Whose work you've heard heard both credited and uncredited.**** Wagner I believe was also Alice Cooper's lead guitarist. Here is their killer intro to what IMO is an otherwise fairly uninteresting song.

Yeah, D!ck was Alice's man. He was excellent. Died sometime last year at his home in Pheonix from the big C. Loved his work. He was to Alice what Mickey Ronson was to Bowie, or Davey Johnson is to Elton. An iconic sound.

It absolutely is dual guitar work of the highest order. I've felt this was some of the finest playing i've ever heard since I first got the album in 73 or 74. I still listen to the RnR album a few times a year. Thanks for posting.

I always thought the "Train Kept a rollin" stuff was KILLER. It's just SMOKIN.

I also recall reading somewhere that one or both of them did uncredited session work for KISS. During a period that Ace Frehley was drinking heavily and couldn't be counted on.

My cousin turned me on to that album in the summer of '81. The first few lines of the intro make my pants a little tight. Lou Reed Live, the other half of the concert is okay. But is no way near the energy of R N R Animal.

yep, i agree. the 1st 2 tracks , Sweet Jane & Herion are the best on the album. And it's because of the incredible guitar work. Wagner & Hunter gave Reed the vehicle to sound the best he did for his entire career.

Archived