Gibson Brands Forums

Double checking if it's real? Sg St from 2008

rocknsad

Hello,

I would just like to double check if this is a regular (real!) Gibson Sg standard. I traded this for another guitar yesterday, but found something odd about the tuners... There was no stamp from gibson deluxe on de tuners. Also 1 screw was missing and up front they have another look compared to my Sg special and LP studio. Also the tuss rod cover seems like it was self-made withoud inscription

But i kinda know the symptoms for a fake gibson, but i would like to hear your opinions !

It plays and sounds good anyhow so I believe i'm not dealing with a fake, but stil I'm wondering why it has got other tuners and tuss rod.

Here are some pictures:

unnamed%206_zpslahj4vzd.jpg

unnamed%208_zps0t1sitjw.jpg

unnamed%204_zpsyozyl7fm.jpg

unnamed%205_zpsmwd0fhg3.jpg

unnamed%203_zpsvwfpp5ia.jpg

unnamed%202_zpsiakaxb0z.jpg

unnamed%201_zps257p75as.jpg

The writing on the puts say 2- 14 – 2008 and the serial checker gives me 2-15-2008. I'm guessing thats normal?

I'm guessing this is the real deal... But why the tuners... I allready ordered new gibson deluxe tuners and a new tuss rod cover to make it as authentic as possible (other from the straplocks). But what do you guys think?

(Sorry for the bad English, I'm from Belgium...)

Thank you very much!

Well, those particular tuners, look to be Gotoh's, as there is no brand indicated on the back of them,

as is typical of Gotoh tuners of that type. But, they are easily changed. If those bother you, get

some Gibson, or Tone Pro's, of the same style. Looks like one of the screw heads, on your's, has been

stripped, anyway.

CB

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If it's genuine, it probably has been refretted. I could be wrong, but it looks as if the ends of the frets are over the top of the binding, which might just pay off in more room to vibrato the e strings. Other than that and the aftermarket tuners, it looks perfect! Nice instrument.

If it's genuine, it probably has been refretted. I could be wrong, but it looks as if the ends of the frets are over the top of the binding, which might just pay off in more room to vibrato the e strings. Other than that and the aftermarket tuners, it looks perfect! Nice instrument.

It's definitely still got the nibs :)

Nothing smacks of fake here buddy [thumbup] How's she sound? Gnarly and biting as expected?

Archived