Gibson Brands Forums

Zero fret replacements?

WDeranged

I'm pretty satisfied with the zero fret but one day it'll wear out or get lost. I can't see any on the Gibson store so I was just wondering if anyone knows whether they will be made available at some point.

Mine started to wear groves into it from the strings within 2 months. I e-mailed gibson and they sent 2 replacement prototype nuts with a differant coating process. no part #'s so cant buy them yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine started to wear groves into it from the strings within 2 months. I e-mailed gibson and they sent 2 replacement prototype nuts with a differant coating process. no part #'s so cant buy them yet.

I've been bitten by the zero fret issue as well. My new 2015 SG Standard has zero fret imperfections right out of the box. The small imperfections appear to be caused by the higher strings slicing into the zero fret, resulting in a snagging effect. I have a solid theory of how they got there and have emailed Gibson. (No response yet). These initial imperfections are actually the cause of accellerated wear.

Sadly i'll be returning the guitar over the weekend after having it a mere three days. Although it's absolutely beautiful and has a great number of positives, there are intonation issues may be a problematic to resolve. (Saddle for G string already jacked all the way back). I'm actually most disapointed with he fact that the guitar was in no way, shape or form "set-up". Its as if the tech either couldn't care less or just gave up.

He absolutely had to have recognized the issue with the fret, the strings jumping wildly out of tune as they snagged and "plinked" with movement over the zero fret. What irks me is the fact that the tech absolutely knew that the intonation could not adequately be adjusted for some strings. Nahhhh... Couldnt be bothered with it.

Instead of shipping it out he could have taken pride in the Gibson product and name and called attention to the flaws and shipped out a different guitar.

In fact, i'm more than certain its he in-house guitar tech that created the initial damage to the zero fret in the first place. Bold statement but the evidence is clear.

What can you do? Not many choices of course. The experience has been an unnecessary let down and a terrible customer experience for such a high end guitar.

Archived