Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Hummingbird

miket

Like anything else, it's what makes a given player happy.

Strings and technique are a big part of that - and just as important is whether a given instrument fits you and how you play in a very physical sense.

With a solid top, it should be a nice-sounding guitar improving on that sound through the years.

But sound/tone is subjective. Your strings and technique will make a big difference.

I'm down to one 6-string big box because frankly they're not shaped to help me play. A smaller box is. Then again, I'm 99 percent a fingerpicker, and one big flattop covers my needs.

For a relative beginner or a longtime picker looking into this price range, a well-setup Epi Hummingbird is a nice instrument.

I don't know your level of experience, but it's worth a cupla extra bucks to get a proper setup with your choice of strings - and a hard case, even for the "online price" of $200.

Personally I'd spend the extra $100 or so and get the Acoustic-Electric version. All of my flattops are, and have been for decades.

m

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Looking to buy new acoustic, I'm considering the Hummingbird. I did play it at my local music store and was impressed with it. Anybody here have any input on this guitar. Thanks

HI. Welcome! I have an Epiphone Hummingbird and also it's big sister the Gibson Hummmingbird. I love them both! ...A good Epiphone Hummingbird...set up well...is a joy to play, and just delightful to look at too! My Epi Bird is a 2008 model and plays absolutely wonderful for the price point...it's rich color is also much nicer than the higher priced Gibson in my view. You will get compliments galore on your Epi bird! Guarenteed! And the sound it makes is also very sweet, clear, clean and pure. It really does hum! Very easy to play, mine is, it has wonderful action with no buzz. The pick up works very well also on the new models. Mine does not have the pick up. But if you don't have $3100 for a Gibson Hummingbird, but still want a Hummingbird...the $299 Epiphone Hummingbird is a steal! It has a solid sitka spruce top for rich tone, and will last for many years to come in my view. I am as delighted with my Epi bird as I am with my Gibson bird, and probably play my Epi Bird MORE than the Gibson! Good luck! Let us know what you decide ok?!

Also as Milod above recommends, you should also buy a good case for it. This will protect the solid sitka spruce top from heat and humidity changes as it ages to perfection!

I too have a Epiphone Hummingbird. I love it, it plays and sounds great. It has a unique tone that I very much enjoy.

Man, that is a great looking bird! Is that a stock pick guard? I like its looks better than the one on the Pro model. Keep on humming!

Man, that is a great looking bird! Is that a stock pick guard? I like its looks better than the one on the Pro model. Keep on humming!

It's one of the earlier Artist versions, it still was made with a solid top. That is the stock pick guard that came on them.

• 1 month later...

The only Hummingbird Artist I would ever remotely consider is the solid top version from some years ago (beautifully pictured above) that, sadly, Epiphone doesn't make anymore. This all laminate Hummingbird Artist they have now? Not a chance.

Archived