Gibson Brands Forums

recording interface , two mic problem

blindboygrunt

Hello folks .

Never posted in here before. Am a regular at the acoustic section only but someone suggested I'd have luck with a question here.

I'm new to home recording and got myself a lexicon alpha interface.

Works great , but , I'd like to record my guitar using a mic rather than the cheesy sounding piezo pickup. Vocals and guitar simultaneously.

Because the interface has two inputs , one jack input and one xlr , I purchased a lead which has xlr (mic) to quarter inch jack (interface) but it seems nothing is reaching the interface . ie no signal. The lead is fine as I have tested it with the mic straight to an amp.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

Hello folks .

Never posted in here before. Am a regular at the acoustic section only but someone suggested I'd have luck with a question here.

I'm new to home recording and got myself a lexicon alpha interface.

Works great , but , I'd like to record my guitar using a mic rather than the cheesy sounding piezo pickup. Vocals and guitar simultaneously.

Because the interface has two inputs , one jack input and one xlr , I purchased a lead which has xlr (mic) to quarter inch jack (interface) but it seems nothing is reaching the interface . ie no signal. The lead is fine as I have tested it with the mic straight to an amp.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

looks like you're missing another XLR input. the line input on the interface is made for just that. line level sources. you will need to get a mic preamp to go between the mic and the interface. depending on what kind of mic you're using, it may require phantom power (that could be your problem also).

Am I missing something ?

I notice the manual says "Note: Plugging a cable into the Instrument input disconnects the Line In 1 input. Plugging a cable into the Line In 2 input disconnects the Mic input." I imagine you've tried different input configurations?

You'll have to forgive my ignorance here chaps.

Xlr on rear of interface , mic for vocals. All good.

ie. Can record guitar and vocals no worries

Instrument line in is on front which is a jack socket. This works fine with guitar lead , jack to jack. Why would it not work with a jack to xlr to the mic?

Mic is dynamic and doesn't need phantom power .

Perhaps I need a preamp ?

Yes... What you need is not so much a preamp as it is a "matching transformer".

A low impedance microphone designed to operate on a three pin XLR cable, is not compatible (or convertible) to a two pin TS type phone plug.

You can either buy a "high impedance" mic, or a transformer to change your mic from a low impedance XLR to a high impedance phone plug. This is not just a plug adapter, this is a "matching transformer".

This is what you need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shure-A85F-Line-Matching-Transformer-In-Line-XLR-Female-to-1-4-Male-/331423575894?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2a626f56

If the 1/4" phone plug is not the right size, you CAN just add an adapter to that end to make it whatever you need.

Do not be fooled by the $3 XLR-1/4" "adapters" that look similar. These DO NOT contain the required transformer, and will do the same thing as your XLR-1/4" cable..... nothing.

Archived