Gibson Brands Forums

Changes to es-335 since 2000

chammer

Hi guys, first post on the forum :)

I was wondering if anyone has a list of changes made to the es-335 model since ~2000.

I'm interested because I want to weigh up whether getting a 2015 model would be worth the extra money, compared to a second-hand one from, say, 2005.

I'd be very grateful if someone has such a list, or could point me in the right direction to where the changes have been addressed on another site, perhaps.

Additionally, does anyone know if there is any difference between a plain es-335 and a figured es-335, apart from the grain on the top?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome!

There are quite few changes between the traditional ones and the 2015 models.... Pickups are a huge difference 57s compared to burst buckers.... Another one is the dot vs small block inlay. Those are the most noticable changes. Personally I think the burst buckers are cool but I own a couple custom shop ES models 2004/2010 that are same specs different colors and I won't be selling for the 2015s for the pickups etc. I dig the th changes though... I think it more of what you are after. Most sellers of previous post the specs and darn I say owners are usually adults that know what they purchased.

Most of the specs are online if you google them

That's funny,.... I was going to say there have been very little changes in the 335 since it's introduction in 1958.

I know a few weeks ago when the 2015s were announced the burst buckers threw everyone in different directions. Pickups alone are a big switch. I personally don't feel that way...suppose its like everything else change a couple things and no one or everyone buys stuff :roll eyes:

In general, you are right... no changes to the body, neck etc

57s are classic pickups they are found across GIbson's whole line. I believe they are balanced whereas most burst buckers are unbalanced. My experience is that burst buckers have an airy tone and have a little more bite. In a 335, I have no idea how they sound.

Check this out track out I wrote/recorded, it is one of my 335s (with 57s) through a few different amps (Fender Princeton, Vox AC15HW and an Orange AD30). There is a good mix of clean, effects, and dirt. Hope you like it - Gather All Demo

57s are classic pickups they are found across GIbson's whole line. I believe they are balanced whereas most burst buckers are unbalanced. My experience is that burst buckers have an airy tone and have a little more bite. In a 335, I have no idea how they sound.

Check this out track out I wrote/recorded, it is one of my 335s (with 57s) through a few different amps (Fender Princeton, Vox AC15HW and an Orange AD30). There is a good mix of clean, effects, and dirt. Hope you like it - Gather All Demo

I enjoyed that, thanks.

Listening again as I type. Is that a real drum kit I hear?

Cheers for the info re: humbuckers as well!

I enjoyed that, thanks.

Listening again as I type. Is that a real drum kit I hear?

Cheers for the info re: humbuckers as well!

I play but that is not real... used Toontrack's Superior Drummer, with some tweaking and programming you can get some amazing sounds out the software.

I know a few weeks ago when the 2015s were announced the burst buckers threw everyone in different directions. Pickups alone are a big switch. I personally don't feel that way...suppose its like everything else change a couple things and no one or everyone buys stuff :roll eyes:

In general, you are right... no changes to the body, neck etc

335 with 390 neck Limited Run for 2015

Archived