Gibson Brands Forums

No More Lefty Gibsons?

Kozmik Gypsy

Is it true?!! I'very been reading that Gibson stopped making guitars for left handed weirdos like me. Huh? I was kinda thinking about a companion for my "Road Dog", my trusty lefty handed SG Jr, but I understand they don't make them lefty any more. Arrgh!!! I hate playing flipped over right handed guitars. Is this a temporary thing? I hope they're just using up unsold stock, and then make them again. Anybody know what is going on? I'm too much of a cheapskate to go through the custom shop.

The Gibson product site still has a "Left Handed" category. It's true, they show "right handed" models, in the photos,

but I think that just depicts WHICH models they'll make a left handed version of. I don't think they've stopped making

left hand models. Legally, that would be discrimination, and besides there are a lot more "lefty," players than many

realize. So, why would they willingly lose that demographic? Factory lead times might be a bit longer???

CB

I'm a little afraid of used guitars, got burned before. I like to break in a guitar myself, I like to be the only one besides the Gibson techs to have touched it. I'm just weird that way. My Road Dog is developing a nice feel to it, it's used to my hands. It's the only guitar I have at the moment, I used to have a bunch of guitars. The Road Dog is like a pair of well worn shoes, feels nice. I want another SG, but I'm just going to have to wait until Gibson makes lefty stuff again. Does anyone at Gibson read these posts? Hmmmm. Hey Gibson, we're here! Come on!

By research I found out that lefty options are very few across all manufacturers. The saddest detail about the Gibsons I found is that there's no lefty model on a budget anymore. My general impression is the lack of sustainability - no pun intended - in the current, fast moving business with lots of short-lived models. :(

In my opinion, modern production processes would easily allow for making some more of the mass-produced righty guitars as lefty models, too. Gibson always did that during the previous model years, and although I'm a right-handed player, I simply don't get their actual practice. <_<

My local dealer told me that Gibson decided to make lefties for every model in 2013 or 2014... probably 2013, I can't remember. Anyway, Gibson had so many extra lefties in the warehouse that they quickly realized that they'd made a mistake and stopped making lefties until they can get rid of the existing stock.

Visit a Gibson dealer, talk to them. See what they have to say. You may not be able to get a 2015, but you might be able to get a deal on a 2013.

As a devout left handed person I can say that the world population of left handed people is from 7% - 10%. I know, you look at the table when yer out somewhere eating and there are 6 left handed to 3 right, I get that, I've seen it myself, but those are the actual figures.

Of that 10% of the population, probably a goodly percentage like me learned to play right handed and has always told other left handed beginners to just play right handed. We were still only 10% at most back then, and left handed guitars were just as hard to come by as they are today. I played right handed because that was what was in the house, I never gave it a thought.

So I'm guessing that if they are lucky, 2%, maybe 3% of their sales are left handed. In a business with the crappy margins these guys have I can understand not making stuff that is that much harder to sell.

Locally, check your GC. There is nothing on the walls and floor that won't sell, they have the data for it. Ours has no left handed Gibson, Fender, or CFMartin at all, and I don't remember them having any new left handed guitars from any of the 3 American companies.

rct

I'm just going to stick with the Road Dog for now. If, in the future Gibson makes a lefty SG P90 Standard I might just have to get one. I'm ok, I'll survive somehow. I'm not into Fender guitars anymore, even though I grew up on them. I have to have P99 pickups, not a fan of humbuckers.

A couple of companies based in the UK have a selection of left handed Gibson.

GAK have a Gibson SG Junior in ebony finish, which is available to order. Also Les Paul 50s/60s tribute and Les Paul Studio models.

GUITARGUITAR have an impressive selection of SG 50s/60s/70s tributes. Les Paul 50s/60s tribute, Studio, Standard.

PMT have Les Paul models, 2012 Standard, 2013 Studio and 2014 Studio (I thought Gibson didn't make any lefties for this year?)

All guitars brand new.

The 50s tributes have p90 pups, 60s tributes Burst Bucker 1&2 pups, 70s tributes Dirty Fingers pups.

I've got a 2013 lefty Gibson SG 60s tribute in satin vintage sunburst, beautiful guitar, very comfortable to play, awesome tone. Purchased from GAK.

I do apologise for not including links to the above companies, I still haven't fathomed that out yet :)

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Is it true?!! I'very been reading that Gibson stopped making guitars for left handed weirdos like me. Huh? I was kinda thinking about a companion for my "Road Dog", my trusty lefty handed SG Jr, but I understand they don't make them lefty any more. Arrgh!!! I hate playing flipped over right handed guitars. Is this a temporary thing? I hope they're just using up unsold stock, and then make them again. Anybody know what is going on? I'm too much of a cheapskate to go through the custom shop.

Surely they won't stop all together. I have a 1991 Black Beauty Les Paul made October 31st, 75 in production, from Nashville. It was modified to Jimmy Page wiring ( 500T Pickups, Push/pull pots) I got a PRS copy, replaced all the hardware with genuine parts, love it!! The Les Paul gets heavy.

Archived