Gibson Brands Forums

Removing Min-ETune unit and machine heads and replacing them with manual machine heads

ricardo_vicente

Here are a few photos showing how I replaced the Min-RTune unit and machine heads on my 2014 SG Standard. It was a simple process which required no reaming and no particular skills I am neither a lthier nor a guitar tech). The headstock holes for the pegs of the machine heads are a standard Gibson size (roughly 10mm diameter) and will take standard Gibson machine heads.

The only drilling required is for the pilot holes for the screws of the new machine heads. (The Min-ETune tuners do not use screws).

Hope this is of use to somebody.

I prepared by unwinding the strings as per the user manual for the Min-ETune.

The nuts which clamp the strings in place have to be unscrewed a little to remove the strings

DSC_5549.jpg

They will screw all the way off so you have to be careful not to lose them

DSC_5549.jpg

DSC_5552.jpg

Strings off, along with the bridge and saddles

DSC_5553.jpg

I then carefully unfastened the nuts on the tuner pegs at the front of the headstock

DSC_5555.jpg

This is the only thing holding on the machine heads and the Min-ETune unit. So once I got to the last peg, I had to hold the Min-ETune unit to prevent it from falling off

DSC_5559_01.jpg

I just pushed the pegs all the way through, loosely fitting the nuts and washers at the front, and lined up the machine heads until I was happy they were straight.

DSC_5577.jpg

I then marked the locating for the pilot holes (I actually ended up drilling with the machine heads still on)

DSC_5581.jpg

I selected a drill bit which was the same size or with a smaller diameter then the shaft of the screws.

DSC_5583.jpg

DSC_5582.jpg

I tested the screw out on a hole I drilled in some alumnium with the same bit (just to be on the safe side to make sure the screws would bite)

DSC_5586.jpg

I then fitted and tightened the washers ad nuts on the front of the headstock (these don't need to be tightened very strongly, just so hat they are firmly fastened and don't come loose, but without indenting the wood)

DSC_5592.jpg

DSC_5593.jpg

In a couple of the holes there was a little excess lacquer, preventing me from screwing in the bushings. I carefully scraped it out with a blade.

DSC_5594.jpg

Then it was job done! Took me maybe 20 minutes and I'm no good with my hands. Very happy with the results.

DSC_5597.jpg

DSC_5598.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had the Min-ETune on ebay and some guy asked for a "buy it now". I said "how about 200 euros?" (roughly $227 US) and he said "OK". If you buy the unit new over here, it will cost you 299, so it was still an OK deal. Seems these things are pretty popular with folk wanting to retrofit them.

My outlay for the tuners and trussrod cover was 60 euros in total. The way I see it, I just got a 140 euro discount on the guitar I actually really wanted.

[biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why anyone would want to take off the robot tuners... I mean, sure, you CAN easily tune a guitar yourself, but the robots are hella-accurate and are so quick!

-Manual tuners will out live robot tuners by more than 100 yrs.-Many post on this very forum section talks about either the robot tuners pulling one or more strings sharp and can't be corrected. -Many posts here talk about the tuners just stop turning.

I don't understand why anyone would want to take off the robot tuners... I mean, sure, you CAN easily tune a guitar yourself, but the robots are hella-accurate and are so quick!

Some folks just aren't into them. That's cool. The great thing about the new Min-eTune and G-Force systems are that they can be swapped out so easily. Nothing like the old Robot Guitars.

It's really a Brilliant design.

I liked everything you did here...except that when installing those little screws I like to use a bit of wax to keep the screws from breaking when tightening them up.

But yours turned out great without the wax! Congratulations.

Some folks just aren't into them. That's cool. The great thing about the new Min-eTune and G-Force systems are that they can be swapped out so easily. Nothing like the old Robot Guitars.

It's really a Brilliant design.

The Robot is easy to switch over too. Just remove the MCK, and tuners and put regular tuners on and get 500K pot and solder in same as a standard LP.

The Robot is easy to switch over too. Just remove the MCK, and tuners and put regular tuners on and get 500K pot and solder in same as a standard LP.

Easy or hard really depends on the skill level of the person doing the conversion. I think swapping out the new Min-eTune system is going to be a lot less intimidating for most players.

Easy or hard really depends on the skill level of the person doing the conversion. I think swapping out the new Min-eTune system is going to be a lot less intimidating for most players.

I don't see the difficulty level unless someone is not good at soldering and wiring pots. In any case you have to learn somewhere if you own a guitar or amp or pay the high prices to get it done! Not really a big deal!

Nice one...

The only thing I will add to what you did was that when you take the nuts off the front (same with pots and the output jack) is that rather than use a wrench like you used, its much easier and safer to use a socket wrench bit (11 or 12mm I think)..

Apart from that (and that's just a tiny thing really, use what works), great job you did there [thumbup]

Nice one...

The only thing I will add to what you did was that when you take the nuts off the front (same with pots and the output jack) is that rather than use a wrench like you used, its much easier and safer to use a socket wrench bit (11 or 12mm I think)..

Apart from that (and that's just a tiny thing really, use what works), great job you did there [thumbup]

As long as you take care not to over torque the nut, use whatever. The Tronical unit came with a short stamped wrench about 1-1/2" long. They include it because they do not want you to over torque the nuts when installing.

As long as you take care not to over torque the nut, use whatever. The Tronical unit came with a short stamped wrench about 1-1/2" long. They include it because they do not want you to over torque the nuts when installing.

Yeah I don't use a wrench with it.. just the bit and do it by hand (for that precise reason of not over tightening)... [thumbup]

Its just that it fits nicely over the post and the washer will prevent it from ever touching the wood...

• 2 months later...

Archived