Gibson Brands Forums

Custom paint work on SG

Hi guys and gals,

Some finishing advice please. I apologize in advance for this subject as I know this may ruffle some feathers for purists. For background, I have owned and played the same Fender Strat Deluxe since 1996 and have really wanted a Gibson SG with a fat neck for a few years now. Not only that, but I am also a turbo car builder (you know, fast cars and music go together so well). The 87 Supra I am building will have a guitar theme throughout the interior with the option to be used as an amplifier itself with 2 classic P12 Jensons installed in the rear and the exterior is being painted a beautiful Cobalt style blue (a little like the Saphire blue SG). The SG is the best looking and playing guitar to combine with the car, though I will be painting the guitar body with the same paint as the car.

I am interested in the Ebony 50's tribute SG due to the P90's, the fat neck, and the affordability. The big issue is the Mahogany body which will have many pores to fill and smooth so we can paint the guitar body with a smooth, glossy finish as the car will have, but the neck will remain stock Ebony.

What are the consequences of killing sustain and tone I love so dearly from the SG while doing this work?

What should I fill the pores of the Mahogany with to smooth the body to not affect the tone/sustain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really want the SG!

Thanks,

Chris

Hey and welcome turbofreak!

Sounds like a cool project! I cannot answer your question in a short and simple manner. If the guitar is bare wood, a 'grain filler' followed by sanding sealer would be used. If the guitar already has a finish, I am not sure of what pores there are to fill?

I think the "purists" would only get ruffled over the refinishing of any "classic" Gibson models.....1969 and earlier. Everything else is 'redundant'.

Of course, this is all "age relevant" as anything from the 1980's on is basically a used guitar to me, not a "classic"!

While other members may give you the info that you are seeking, I also suggest a site called ReRanch. Its all about finishing guitars. Good Stuff. They have a Forum also.

Rod

http://www.reranch.com/

Thank you Rod.

As to the pores, I've just noticed on the cheaper LPs and SGs with the satin finish the wood is not a smooth sand for smooth gloss paint. Again, just not sure where to go on refinish. I will try Reranch.

Just for reference the engine bay is painted so this is an example of the color which I believe would look pretty great on the SG. My body guy states the effect in the paint is glass, not metallic flake so it lights up like crazy in the sun.

in_sun.jpg

close_up.jpg

Hello Chris!

Welcome to the Forums!

Check out Stewmac's site: http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Finishing_Supplies/Fillers_and_Putties/ColorTone_Clear_Grain_Filler.html

Also, I recommend buying this book: http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Books/Finishing/Guitar_Finishing_Step-By-Step.html

I haven't read it, but Mr. Dan Erlewine's name guarantees it's every bit professional. [thumbup]

Cheers... Bence

Archived