Gibson Brands Forums

NGD-The Wait Begins

MaceWindu57

Today, after doing a month or so of research, I pulled the trigger and ordered an Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500 MCE Acoustic electric in Vintage Sunburst! [biggrin] I am a new student of the guitar, and I have a Yamaha DS01, which is similar to their FG-700. I was looking at Yamaha also, but the Masterbilt won me over because of it being a solid wood guitar, and the reviews I read and videos I watched.

There were none to check out locally, but I own an Epiphone ES-335 Limited PRO, and was impressed with the quality of it, so I went for it. I wanted to get a higher quality guitar, and see how much difference it will make in playability; though at my current level it probably won't be much.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new guitar. I currently use Elixir Nano web lights on the Yamaha, although I have heard good things about D'Addario strings. I have some D'Addario's on hand and may try them on the new Masterbilt, which comes with them according to Epiphone.

I can hardly wait! My guitar teacher is going record some songs this weekend for me to learn to play!!!

depending on where you live you should allow it to warm up before you un wrap it. you don't want it to warp or anything. I live in Ontario Canada and had to let mine sit for a day before I got to play it but it was well worth the wait it is an amazing guitar

What a wonderful guitar! You went for the best right off the bat didn't you?! Good for you! Everyone loves the Masterbilt series by Epiphone. Your going to love it too!...and the sunburst will REALLY make it hot!

It has arrived! My Masterbilt is here! After waiting impatiently for 4 hours to let it adjust to room temperature, I unboxed it and it it's in perfect condition, ready to play, with a great low action! After I tuned it, I got to enjoy the deeper sound and tone that's totally different than my Yamaha acoustic. I also bought the Epiphone Dread case to go with it, and it fits perfectly! Here's a few photos attached, I'm really looking forward to lessons today!post-68726-002669600 1423930222_thumb.jpg post-68726-013819800 1423930234_thumb.jpg

My thanks to all of you for the kind words! My teacher's a Martin owner, but he also liked my choice and complimented me on the Masterbilt. I know have a song he gave me today to practice and learn called Kitts's Waltz. I hope to get it to sound somewhat like a song.

My teacher also suggested I try some medium strings over lights to give more tone and projection, I may try some for the next string change and see how they feel. I also invested in a humidifier for the guitar while it's in the case.

My thanks to all of you for the kind words! My teacher's a Martin owner, but he also liked my choice and complimented me on the Masterbilt. I know have a song he gave me today to practice and learn called Kitts's Waltz. I hope to get it to sound somewhat like a song.

My teacher also suggested I try some medium strings over lights to give more tone and projection, I may try some for the next string change and see how they feel. I also invested in a humidifier for the guitar while it's in the case.

String choice is very opinionated, mediums might help it project more but it already does usually lights are far easier on the fingers for beginners and if it is like any other DR500MCE it doesn't need help projecting tone wise sure you will get more bass and sure it will be louder if that is what you want?

I jam with martins, taylors and a high end garth brooks signature takamines my DR is as loud if not louder and it has lights on it. but like I said its what you like.

String choice is very opinionated, mediums might help it project more but it already does usually lights are far easier on the fingers for beginners and if it is like any other DR500MCE it doesn't need help projecting tone wise sure you will get more bass and sure it will be louder if that is what you want?

I jam with martins, taylors and a high end garth brooks signature takamines my DR is as loud if not louder and it has lights on it. but like I said its what you like.

Thank you! I like the sound of the lights now just fine, and will probably stick with them!

When I replaced the stock strings with the Elixers it made a difference of about 10% on volume. Yours might benefit with new strings. I wasn't much impressed with the stock ones. JMHO

I have some Elixr Nanoweb Bronze Phosphors in light gauge, I may do a sting change and see.

Update: I changed strings this weekend, using the Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb Lights. I noticed a gain in volume over the stock string's which were D'Addario according to Epiphone. I will say the stock stings seemed to be easier to strum in that there was less pick noise, maybe that's just the case of increased volume at work?

I also have some D'Addario Phosphor Bronze lights on hand, maybe next sting change I'll try them and see the difference. [biggrin]

Archived