Gibson Brands Forums

Am I just lucky?

sunshinewelly

With all the talk about the problems with min etune am I just lucky that mine works perfectly. It usually takes one strum and one single string pluck and it's in tune in whatever tuning I select. Very quick and very accurate. I did assume I would have issues as I did not have the brass nut but the nut in my signature t is perfect. No pings and keeps in tune wonderfully. I remember seeing a video for GeForce and hearing a ping on the review video for a 2015 studio whilst it was tuning. Mine is very stable. Overall I am very happy.

I retrofitted the Min-eTune to two of my guitars. The one on my Les Paul Raw Power Studio works perfectly once I figured out the limits of it's tuning range and oiled the nut.

On my SG it worked well too but that guitar has a StetsBar tremolo bridge so things work a little differently. Let's say I'm in standard tuning and want to change to open G. I will have to go through the entire tuning process twice to make up for the spring tension changed at the bridge. But think about how long it would take to make that change on a trem equipped guitar without min-etune.

I feel there is a small learning curve with these systems. But there is a learning curve with any tuners such as how much string to wrap around the tuner and how to "tune down to tune up" to deal with gear lash.

I believe that just like with any mas produced item these days there is bound to be some on on the shelves that have issues but I'm really impressed that Gibson now has this idea down to a small and easy to replace unit making it far more "optional" that the older robot systems.

• 1 month later...

I had issues initially but restrung with 10's and it solved the whole problem. The Gforce works great and the no fret nut. I love the extra width of the neck and low frets.

I found the tuners to be a good idea and you can still tune manually with them still, must say though that with the 2015 I hate the new wider neck and lower frets, the brass nut is ok, nice for easy adjustment.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of mine died recently. I'm awaiting a response from customer services. If they won't replace the broken part I'll most likely just remove the whole system and buy a standard set of tuners. The tiny gears in these tuners are VERY fragile. Hopefully Gibson will sort it out for me.

Archived