Gibson Brands Forums

NECK profiles- Epi LP Ultra II vs. Epi LP 1960 Tribute Plus

nspeer

I have an Ultra II and am GASSING for a Tribute Plus. The specs on the website indicate that the necks are the same profile. When I called Epiphone, the guy was obviously reading off the website specs, so he was no help. I called Sweetwater and got a similar response.

I'm not particularly comfortable playing the Ultra II neck. I do not have an opportunity to play the Tribute Plus. I keep reading stuff like "My Tribute Plus has the most comfortable LP neck I've ever played."

Just trying to get some feedback as to whether there is any difference or not.

Thanks!

I have an Ultra II and am GASSING for a Tribute Plus. The specs on the website indicate that the necks are the same profile. When I called Epiphone, the guy was obviously reading off the website specs, so he was no help. I called Sweetwater and got a similar response.

I'm not particularly comfortable playing the Ultra II neck. I do not have an opportunity to play the Tribute Plus. I keep reading stuff like "My Tribute Plus has the most comfortable LP neck I've ever played."

Thanks!

to me the Ultra II neck is about the same as other standard epi les pauls (with the exception of it being satin). the tribute plus neck is thinner. don't know if that's a good or bad thing for you but there is definitely a difference. they are great guitars though.

• 3 weeks later...

I own and play The 60's Tribute Plus. I loved it immediately. The Ultra II appears to be on the lower end of playability and sound. The 60's Tribute Plus is very close to a few of the Gibson Les Paul's that I have owned. The Tribute could be used by any pro on any stage and do fine. It's a great guitar.

I own and play The 60's Tribute Plus. I loved it immediately. The Ultra II appears to be on the lower end of playability and sound. The 60's Tribute Plus is very close to a few of the Gibson Les Paul's that I have owned. The Tribute could be used by any pro on any stage and do fine. It's a great guitar.

Great. Now I just need to try and find someone who wants to sell me their Black Cherry Epi LP Tribute!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 1960 Tribute Plus in Black Cherry and it's easily the best sounding easiest to play Les Paul I've ever owned. The quality of the build is fantastic and it's tone is top notch. I still can't believe the quality to price factor. I can't say enough good things about it.

Great. Now I just need to try and find someone who wants to sell me their Black Cherry Epi LP Tribute!

I got mine at Sweetwater and was very pleased with their service. All the big box stores sell them for around the same price. Maybe go to GC and try out a few.

I got mine at Sweetwater and was very pleased with their service. All the big box stores sell them for around the same price. Maybe go to GC and try out a few.

I'd love to but they don't carry it at all. I like the fact that Sweetwater states the weight of the actual guitar you're ordering. None of the other online sites do.

You misunderstood me. I meant that Guitar Center here in Denver area does not carry the Epi LP Tribute Plus.

I did misunderstand you! :)

this GC has one used http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Used-Epiphone-1965-Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-Wine-Red-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110988958-i4236254.gc

I believe they will ship to other stores so you could try it out. worth a shot.

Thanks!

Well, I took delivery of the Tribute Plus I've been GASSING for two days ago. I bought it from Sweetwater and I can't say enough about their customer service.

Anyway, I'm here to tell ya that the neck profile is completely different from the Ultra II. It is much thinner and more of a shallow D shape on the Tribute Plus...almost flat... vs a pronounced curved C shape on the Ultra (which hurt my hand at the base of my thumb). I like the Tribute Plus profile MUCH better (but I'd prefer it was in a satin finish like the Ulta)! It is reminiscent of the Epi '61 ReIssue SG I used to have and a bit like the Epi ES-339 I once had, although the 339's neck was much beefier.

BTW, the Tribute Plus is has a FLAWLESS finish, and sounds WONDERFUL. It's a keeper.

Archived