Gibson Brands Forums

1964 Gibson ES-???

Chris Till

Hello! First time poster. I'm trying to help someone identify their old Gibson. It's not for sale. Rather, it's a heirloom. The serial number dates it to 1964. Cherry finish. Neck join at 17th fret. No ornamentation or inlay on the peghead. Interesting looking tailpiece. Can someone help? (For obscure Ohio garage band enthusiasts, this is the very guitar that Carey Jacobs played on the Tempters sole record, "It's Been a Long Long Time"/"I Will Go" from 1966 on Link Records.) Is it an ES-330TD? post-70538-014568900 1423752035_thumb.jpgMany thanks, Chris

Looks to be an es-330td here's some general es-330 info from the master off all gibson archtop:

http://www.es-335.org/2011/08/20/es-330-odd-duck/

If that maestro tailpiece is blank, my guess is this one originally had a trapeze tailpiece and it was swapped for that. The maestro on the 330s is rare and it would absolutely have some flourish and the gibson logo etched onto it. If it originally had a bigby, why swap it?

For the sake of ease on everyone else...here is the song you mentioned. sounds really cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC-eO2ANCmQ

Thanks, '64 ES-330TDC it is. The original owner's widow told me he told her something about the tailpiece made it unusual. She is not a guitar person. That tailpiece definitely has Gibson etched on it. It still has the vibrato arm that I assume is original in the case. Here's a picture of the guitar circa 1966, along with an EB-2 bass from the same era (stolen after a gig soon after), as well as what I think is a Gibson Firebird, right?

post-70538-027501700 1423800327_thumb.jpeg

Very nice! I love those regional garage groups that popped up and were the coolest guys in their hood for as long as the bands lasted! There's a great documentary, Teen a Go Go, that used to be on Netflix, worth seeking out, that covers the Ft Worth teen scene. There are also plenty of comps out there, my favorite being the Back From the Grave compilations.

It's a great 330! Glad to hear its both all original and staying where it belongs.

Hey Retrorod, or anybody, Is there a way I can figure out, just from that picture, if that Firebird is a '63 or '64. Or what year that EB-2 is? I know, the only thing that's visible is the headstock (and it was stolen soon after). Yeah, I love those guitar boom teen groups. Gracias!

It would be hard to say about the year of the Firebird. From what I understand they started selling Firebirds in late '63. There would have been very few '63,s compared to '64,s. It is my understanding that the earliest birds did not have the ensignia on the pickguard.

I was browsing some sites this afternoon and found this.... /30/"]http://truevintageguitar.com/inventory/1966-gibson-es-330/#wpexLightboxGallery[]/30/

Apparently, the ES-330 sometimes received the "vibrola treatment"....the black back and sides on this one is unusual also. Very TASTY !

Archived