Gibson Brands Forums

Buying a used SG

solving

I'm thinking about buying a used SG.

Either a standard or 61 reissue.....

And since I'm new to electric guitars (I play acoustic) I would like some tips on what to look out for and be aware of when it comes to used SG's

Any typical issues like the neck?

Warning signs etc..

Thankful for any input and guidence

When about SGs, it's basically like with other Gibson guitars featuring mahogany necks. One should take care in particular for the peghead since an unwanted bump or fall might easily snap it off. Very slim neck profiles like the early 60's shape are a bit infamous for that, but I think there's no problem when properly handled and transported.

The neck joint should be flawless, but to my knowledge it's seldom a source of trouble.

Any vibrato system on SGs is a matter of taste, but one can't expect a tuning stability like that of a Floyd Rose.

Depending on neck and body masses, some SGs are neck-heavier than others. A wide leather strap with a suede back is very helpful in controlling neck dive, but the less neck-heavy, the more comfortable the handling. I dislike holding up the neck with my fretting hand, so my right forearm and the strap will have to do that.

Some of my pals rubbed off the finish of their neck's treble side edge over time through supporting the neck, so this could be another point worth checking.

I don't make any claim to be complete here, but I hope it helps.

The only SG I've ever touched (played) had a neck like a Louisville Slugger. Never tried another...once was enough to turn me off of SG's. That was 1969. Other than that I know nothing about them other than lots guys like them.

This makes me guess you didn't try one of the xtra slim SGs up to now?

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/118777-new-lp-golden-pearl-and-sg-xtra-slim/page__view__findpost__p__1618205

By the way, they seem to have the same neck profile as my Frank Zappa "Roxy" but the latter also has those superflat Fretless Wonder wires.

As capmaster said, they can be very neck-heavy. Really a bummer, especially on a light guitar like a SG. You do have lot of great upper fret access, though. 22 frets, by the way. If you are talking about the fakes, look out for any weird headstock shapes, "Gibsun" writing, "pokerchip" toggle switch, non-nitro lacquer, etc. There are videos on Youtube on how to spot fakes.

If about fakes or not, linking pics of the candidates here for evaluation may be useful. Lots of experienced, knowledgeable and helpful forumites will post hints and clues.

What are you saying? Are you going to post pics of the guitars you want to buy, and do want us to authenticate it for you? Or do you want us to give you links to videos where they discuss real versus fake Gibson guitars?

What are you saying? Are you going to post pics of the guitars you want to buy, and do want us to authenticate it for you? Or do you want us to give you links to videos where they discuss real versus fake Gibson guitars?

Just wanted to mention that posting pics of guitars in question might result in helpful opinions. People here have been of help many times in the past, and I think they still are.

I have a 2010 '61 reissue, I love it. I don't think it's neck heavy at all, perhaps the slim neck is the key to the balance on that model. The only issue I had was with the nut, I had a luthier just barely file the slots (G and B were hanging) and added some graphite and no more problems. You might not experience that, I had switched to heavier gauge strings (11's).

Try out some new one's, of the models you're interested in. It will give you

a good idea, what their various characteristics are. Then, look for their "used,

but not abused" examples! Neck preferences, are very personal, so for those

who love "fat" necks, you may want to find older versions, with that spec,

whereas the '61 has a '60's,slim taper neck type neck. ALL vary somewhat,

regardless of type, as they are all hand shaped. Other than that, just

be sure everything works, "as new," and there aren't any cosmetic problems

you can't abide. Some folks want only "like new" used gear. Other's don't

mind some "relic" or "character dings" etc. Check the neck joint, to be

sure it's secure and never been broken. Same with the headstock, as has

already been mentioned.

Good Hunting!

CB

Hmm... seem to be some replies from people who have barely played an SG. I have a 2013 standard and it's the best guitar I've played. Beautiful slim neck and classic 57s - I sold my Les Paul because the SG was better. Easy access to the high frets, lovely and comfortable and light. Fantastic guitar. [thumbup]

AndyK,

They made who knows how many variations on the theme with the SG. I've had skinny necks, huge weird C shaped ones, big old baseball bat ones, low frets, high frets, ones that sounded great and ones that sounded dead, SGs I loved and SGs I didn't mind selling one bit.

I understand that 2013 is probably THE year to get for the recent ones. I still miss my 1974 Standard but oh well.

Try out some new one's, of the models you're interested in. It will give you

a good idea, what their various characteristics are. Then, look for their "used,

but not abused" examples! Neck preferences, are very personal, so for those

who love "fat" necks, you may want to find older versions, with that spec,

whereas the '61 has a '60's,slim taper neck type neck. ALL vary somewhat,

regardless of type, as they are all hand shaped. Other than that, just

be sure everything works, "as new," and there aren't any cosmetic problems

you can't abide. Some folks want only "like new" used gear. Other's don't

mind some "relic" or "character dings" etc. Check the neck joint, to be

sure it's secure and never been broken. Same with the headstock, as has

already been mentioned.

Good Hunting!

CB

Thanks

AndyK,

They made who knows how many variations on the theme with the SG. I've had skinny necks, huge weird C shaped ones, big old baseball bat ones, low frets, high frets, ones that sounded great and ones that sounded dead, SGs I loved and SGs I didn't mind selling one bit.

I understand that 2013 is probably THE year to get for the recent ones. I still miss my 1974 Standard but oh well.

Steve, I also had a 2010(?) Classic with P90s - that was another lovely SG. Unfortunately, I sold it to raise funds for another purchase. :rolleyes:

Archived