Gibson Brands Forums

The new zero nut pinging and cutting groves!

Blitz

Yeah its real odd they would get something that's so crucial to a guitar set up so wrong...

Someone else on here complained about the same thing (as mentioned its come up several times now) and Gibson sent him two of the new "plated" nuts.. Theres a pic on this guitar page that shows it.. http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Mahogany-Top.aspx

LPTDM15ANNH1-Headstock_zpssoppkpkd.jpg

Rob Chapman of chapman guitars purchased a standard with a zero nut and he play's heavy metal so I would find his site and drop him ( nice guy he should give you his opinion)

a line on YOU TUBE to see what he thinks,Rob chapman and Lee Anderton purchased Gibson's on the same day but Lee Anderton purchased a Custom shop 58 with no zero nut and no Gforce. DOH

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many times has one changed the nut after properly setting it up; probably never. If you do slide you usually adjust the saddle height.

Gibson's solution...nickle plated? ... geeze...how long will that last? The whole improved gizmo nut is a solution to a non-existing problem.

Granted, I haven't used one...looking at pictures it appears to have two points of contacts: one on the zero fret and second on the slot. I don't know if the second slot has vertical and horizontal pressure points. The old fashion nut, we had pretty much one point of contact to minimize friction/binding with polishing and a little grease.

So for this improved zero fret gizmo, where is it binding?

hi, I write here because I recently bought a Gibson Les Paul studio 2015. I have encountered the same problem at the nut. the guitar is not tuned, and feel the famous "ping".

also the nut is fading and eroding.

I contacted Gibson but I have not yet received replies. you know how long it takes to respond? you think Gibson will solve the problem?

Hi Christiano, what gauge strings are on the guitar. I would call Gibson rather than contact them by email. They sent me a replacement right away that seems to be holding up well. I strung the guitar with 10's and it has made a tremendous difference. The strings stay in place. Mine is a Deluxe that had the same problem.

I am using the strings that I found with the guitar when I bought it.

I live in Italy, there is a European service to call?

Don't think so.. but theres an email service.europe@gibson.com

Hi: It came strung with 9's. Try putting heavier strings on it. It solved my problem. Gibson will send you a replacement insert for the nut. Don't get overly disappointed if you love the guitar otherwise. You can address the nut issue.

My biggest problem is that: because of friction with the nut, the guitar tends to go out of tune very quickly.

Since I bought the guitar to play it and not to tune it every 2 minutes, Gibson will have to fix it.

I do not know how many types of nuts are testing but certainly should have done so before.

In my opinion, even if they put a nut made of more durable material, the guitar would tend to lose pitch because of the inevitable friction.

Besides that, my nut if watched closely is knurled and pockmarked, this makes sure that when you pull up the string, this does not have the opportunity to return to his starting position, and then losing his intonation.

Sorry for the mistakes but I'm using Goole traslator to communicate with you.

PS: Gibson has not responded to any emails yet.

Tungsten is to tricky to work with. But there are a lot of harder metals that would work better than brass I think. That said I'm not having any issue with mine but it doesn't have many miles on it yet.

• 1 month later...

Afternoon! I picked up an LPM three weeks ago. Out of the case, I was pretty impressed - resonant, well finished and the setup was close enough to perfect for me. I'd initially been wary of the wider board, but once I'd played it for a while, it works really well for me (I play a lot of thumb over the fretboard and it stops my thumb dampening the A string), the g-force is being replaced with snot tulips (and put on my LP Junior which I use for slide etc, where it will have a use), the truss rod bell has been replaced with a two ply plain one and, all in all, I like it. A lot. I might swap the pickups and wiring out at some point, but for now, it's all good. EXCEPT THE NUT. The zero fret was notched and pinging after about 5 hours of play. Anything approaching a bend knocked it out of tune. The lightest vibrato - out of tune. This rendered the guitar unusable. I got onto Boris at Gibson EU(through the retailer) and on Saturday a nickel replacement came through the mail. Two minute job to swap over and I'm happy as Larry again - it's had two gigs and ten hours play on it and so far, so good. Can't fault the customer service in getting it sorted - absolutely flawless, BUT I can't believe that this slipped through the Gibson QC net in the first place - I've seen loads of people with the same problem posting elsewhere online, and I've tried a load of other 2015 models in the last couple of weeks - most of which seemed to have the same problem or early signs of it. Is Gibson using us as beta testers for their product development now? Surely they must be bracing themselves for a raft of returns, or for sending out replacement after replacement (when it would doubtless be more cost effective to get it right first time)? I can't believe that the zero fret nut wasn't adequately tested before being rolled out across a whole year's range, so what's going on?

Rant over. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys- Sorry I haven't posted a reply in a while to my Nickel Plated Nut they sent me. It's been a few months with the Nickle Plated nut and it seems like the G string is starting to ping. A little groove on this nut as well. Anyways,Its all because of the G-Force tuners. I actually didn't mind the G-Force Tuners but it was a pain to restring and you certainly can't do it quickly if needed live and it was causing all of my problems with this guitar.I was also having issues with it staying in tune. I decided to replace the G-Force with locking Grovers and I couldn't be happier. I use .10's and it stays in tune really well now. Now I just need to find a compensated bone nut and I will be happy with this guitar.... In the end I should have looked for a 2014 LP Classic...That's basically what I have but with a wider neck.

Hey Guys- Sorry I haven't posted a reply in a while to my Nickel Plated Nut they sent me. It's been a few months with the Nickle Plated nut and it seems like the G string is starting to ping. A little groove on this nut as well. Anyways,Its all because of the G-Force tuners. I actually didn't mind the G-Force Tuners but it was a pain to restring and you certainly can't do it quickly if needed live and it was causing all of my problems with this guitar.I was also having issues with it staying in tune. I decided to replace the G-Force with locking Grovers and I couldn't be happier. I use .10's and it stays in tune really well now. Now I just need to find a compensated bone nut and I will be happy with this guitar.... In the end I should have looked for a 2014 LP Classic...That's basically what I have but with a wider neck.

Cool. I'm glad it worked out for you. One of the best things about the new G Force is that it's easy to swap out if you don;t like it. It's also easy to add one of your guitar didn't come with one.

• 3 weeks later...

I called Gibson yesterday and they did not hesitate to get my info to send out the replacement Nickel Plated zero fret insert. I had some pretty big grooves etched into the original brass zero fret and the tuner was pulling every string real sharp. I re-set to the Factory settings then re-calabrated according to the owners manual three times each - still pulling sharp. I took the SG back to the dealer, their tech filed all the grooves out of the zero fret and polished it once the filing was done - we put new GHS Nickel Rockers on it (those are round-core and the winds are not as abrasive as most other strings) and it seemed to tune itself ok - then that evening at home, it was pulling every string but the high B & E sharp again. I won't get the new zero fret insert till next week sometime, at that point I'll go back to the store and have them re-check the set-up with the new zero fret.

Anyone else have the G Force tuning everything sharp? The only string that was consistently not sharp was the high E, the B string would be sharp 40% of the time... all the wound strings and the G were always tuned sharp. I want to like this thing.

Yes - the intonation on the guitar is correct. I have to say after three days, and another master re-set and calibration, and having had the orig. brass nut filed down to eliminate the grooves that the strings had cut, it is now tuning accurately across all six strings. So, I'll wait on the mail carrier to deliver the new Nickel Zero Fret from Gibson this coming week and see if it doesn't stay stabilized. Thanks for your input, very helpful.

update - the new nickel plated zero fret arrived this Monday past via FedEx. Had it installed. However... the G Force is still pulling every string sharp except the B string - everything is real sharp. I have tried repeatedly to do a Master System reset but the G Force will not finish step 5 - "Cyan LED's light sequentially = reset confirmed" - all that ever happens is I press the Enter and Up Button in step 4 and after about 6o sec. the unit just shuts off with no sequential Cyan LED flash to confirm - so no Master Reset seems possible - I have gone through this process at least 30 times and I get the same non-sequential flash to confirm re-set. I have also tried the re-calabration process on pg 15 of the manual but it doesnt fix the tuning sharp issue (no master re-set, no calibration???) Should I talk to the store, they seem more than a little hesitant to deal with this, since every time I go in with this problem we all have to read from the manual... Should I just call Gibson on Monday and ask for a return authorization? Kind of disappointed to say the least, the G Force was working for a few weeks, then when the strings cut new grooves in the brass zero fret, it stopped tuning with any degree of accuracy, always way sharp. I'm about to join the ranks of those who have taken the G Force off and installed regular tuning pegs and just go analog old-school tuning with the SG - if it won't tune up, I can't play it. I wanted this to work, I really did, but it seems as if I didn't get what I paid for... damn. Thoughts?

Weekend update - dropped the guitar off at the store this morning - they will mess with it to see if they can get it to tune properly - I could not get it to flash the confirmation that the Master Re-Set to Factory default, I'd hold the Enter and Up buttons down together and all it would do is turn itself off after about 60 to 75 seconds, over and over again - no master re-set, the calibration process won't work as it's supposed to either... It continues to pull every string but the B string close to a half step sharp. If they can't get it to work either, they'll call Gibson for a new G Force unit. This unit worked perfectly for about 4 weeks, then the strings cut notches in the Zero Fret, and it's not tuned properly since.

Technology is designed to become obsolete just by the nature of the constant "improvements" that corporations feel we need. Guitars are now becoming just like cars. Gibson didn't even have MinEtune out 2 years befor G-Force came out...So what's he next version. Save tourself the aggavation. A set of Gibson Deluxe tuners will drop right in. All you have to do is drill the pilot holes. A time saving device is now costing you lots of time.

• 2 months later...

Well,the guys at the music store spent some time with the guitar and the Factory Re-set did finally work, followed this up with a calibration and it's back to tuning up fast and accurate. I'll see how it goes...

Any updates?

Are you happy with it now?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived