Gibson Brands Forums

playing standing Vs seated

Bernie69

Hi forum guys,

I know I will be "out of subject" because my question is not directly linked to the ESssss but

I need your help and I will be grateful if you give me some tips.

One of my 2015 good resolution is "learning to play standing"

I've played for years alone seated on my couch "couch player ?" , and now I've reached a level allowing me to play with friends in public.

The problem is : everybody else plays standing, Im the very odd guy stuck on his chair, not a very "blues" or "Rock n roll " attitude.

I have some childish questions like : can you still look at your fingers on the fretboard as I do ???? do you play blind ?

All your advices are welcomed!!!!

I must add that my ES356 is rather light

The best thing to do is have it on a strap all the time so the guitar is in the same position standing or sitting.

That solves the problem, though the guitar is quite high so you can't throw any rockstar moves but it is a much better playing position.

Like pitfall said, try a stool or maybe sit on a speaker cabinet or an amp. Sometimes that looks cool. Maybe buy a Gibson Lucille and use your chair. B.B. King doesn't have a problem with it. I use a short stool most of the time. I also am mostly a "couch player" too and find it difficult to play standing although years ago I used to stand and play in church but that isn't as long as you are talking about. Look at your hands and fretboard if you need to. I have been up close to many of the great guitar players and they look too.

Gibson stool

GA-24STOOL__31967.1408678311.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Or play sitting on a bar stool! If it's good enough for Robert Fripp.......

Yep, that'd be my preference too.

I just play at home in my studio now but if I were to go back to playing live I'd have a problem with my back anyway (just can't stand for long) so the stool option would be the only way for me.

The bar stool seems like an excellent suggestion. Maybe a bar stool could help you transition from a "couch player" to a stand-up guy (not to imply that you're not already a stand-up kind of guy).

I have a hard enough time already just playing sitting down. I suspect I'll always be a couch player.

I do 4 and 5 hour sets, so standing is not an option. I have a folding stool I tote with me and alternate between sitting and standing. The buns do get sore and sometimes you just have to stretch.

As for watching where you play on the fretboard, that will come in time and with practice, but be sure to use those fret markers, they're your friend.

When I was learning way back some 45 or more years ago my own guru told me to start practicing without looking at my fingers as much as possible. Today I still practice with my eyes closed to completely familiarize myself with the neck and where each note is.

Another tip I give my own students is to set your strap up while sitting so that when you do stand your guitar is already in a position you feel comfortable playing in.

I would recommend you practice in a straight back chair though. Practicing on a couch can often lead to poor playing posture and a sore upper back and neck.

Good luck!

Get a good Strap. Find a comfortable position standing. Quit looking at the Neck. Practice, practice, practice. You'll start feeling it. You may have to look occasionally. It will take a while but all of a sudden the Neck feels natural & you'll be able to spend more time relating to the Audience & able to see what the rest of the Band is doing.

Playing in seated position in Coffee Houses is ok though! They think you're smarter!

Hi

thanks a lot for you wise advices:

The "look smarter" option fits me very well( assuming my playing should also be smart ;) , I have found a foldable IKEA bar stool,

less glorious than the GIBSON one [wub] but easier to carry.

I already use a strap even seated in case my guitar slips away from me,which would be very unsuitable for the song and also more for

the 359.

I have started to practice standing, as you say it makes the musician more aware of the audience and what's going on on stage.I have

discovered that doing bends standing do not require more efforts than seated and I still do not understand why so many players jump or

twist their bodies whit a specific suffering face while they bend -cannot be another way to look smarter ?? :P

Thanks again,

I'll be the next BB king( bad exemple , he plays seated ) if the little pigs don't eat me ( French saying)

Sitting on stools, sitting on chairs, or playing standing up doesn't really matter too much in smaller venues like bars. Visually, audience like to see that you're a little animated and enjoying the music that you play. So if sitting, just make sure you have direct contact with your audience and nothing blocks your persona. This is especially true if you sing and play guitar. I've seen players sit down and disappear behind obstacles like score stands, speakers, etc.

However, after one or two hours standing, your legs get tired especially if you are animated digging the beat. I still remember in my earlier years (late '69) I once had a little too many and could not stand up...played laying down on the floor... LOL... you can feel the kick drum and the bass clearly...never again! msp_lol.gif

Although I like the stool idea (need to try one), what worked for me is to just force myself to play standing at every opportunity. I was a little sloppy at first, but I believe that standing forced me to fret more precisely, and after a while realized that my playing had improved. I began feeling much more comfortable and relaxed in our garage band settings. Eventually, sitting didn't quite feel as natural as standing. I'm 58 with a bad back, so owning 339 really helps. A good adjustable music stand for sheet music or iPad also recommended.

• 3 weeks later...

At the risk of sounding insensitive, getting and staying in shape is the only fix. Playing a guitar adds a lot of stress on your arms, chess and back. And if you not in shape it's going to hurt. The average guitar can weighs anywhere from 6.5 - 8.5 pounds. And when you play, you easily add 5 more pounds of downward force while strumming or soloing. Now add the back posture to the mix if it's a semi or hollow box.

I had to learn the hard way with a bad back until I realizes that it was time to get of my lazy a$$ and work out before playing my guitar. 2 sets of push-ups, sit-ups and yoga stretching before and after playing helps me.

Jazz,

• 1 month later...

I was strictly a "couch player" until 5 years ago when I started going to open jams, then got in a working band a couple years later. I'm not as comfortable playing standing but got used to it quickly enough. And I look at my fret hand as often as I need to. I'm not playing music to look cool or impress anybody, I'm too old for that. I want to hit the correct notes. I've jammed with dozens and dozens of players, and IMO nothing ruins the vibe like some poser hunting for the right note or chord. I don't ever want to be that guy, nor be perceived as being that guy.

• 4 weeks later...

Its easier to play well seated I find, but I play standing in my band. Sitting is not always possible anyway as there are 7 of us.

In addition to Bob Fripp...

Mike Bloomfield sat to play (when I saw him anyway).

Michael Houser (Widespread Panic original lead guitarist) also sat on a stool to play.

So you'd be in pretty good company if you did.

If you want to stand, practice at home first. Experiment with different strap lengths and guitar positions. Some players keep the upper bout at their center, and others the lower bout. The angle of the neck will vary from player to player also.

I suggest avoiding the ultra-low slung method. This is only adopted for reasons of style choice. Its no good as a playing position.

Playing standing up can become the norm once the decision is taken... [thumbup]

There are many advantages...

It is a more confident stance...which works both ways...

Easier to move around...shake loose and relax

More audience contact

V

:-({|=

Man I'll bite.

I've been to some really cool Jazz clubs in the day..Also as a young punk watching any old musical movies back in the day, the cat with the axe was always seated...But really ; it is as the folks have said already ,what is most comfortable for you...

X

• 2 weeks later...

It is best to get used to playing standing upright, and leaning into your vocal mic.

Playing and performing live, whilst sitting down, is a dicey proposition.

Many novice guitar players learn to play while sitting on the couch, or laying back on their bed.

This forces unnatural limitations on your elbows and forearms, and causes you to learn difficult chord phrasings with your arms at a structural disadvantage.

Playing standing up, with a proper guitar strap keeping your axe over your belly (not down low over your Johnson) is the best way, trust me.

This way you have complete freedom of your arms and wrists, and you will play much more naturally and instinctively.

• 4 weeks later...

I play both ways, but my excessive practice allows me to stand and sing or talk with other bandmates, and say hello to people at a gig. It also allows me to walk around which is more interesting for people to watch. I like the way Jeff Beck moves whilst he plays guitar, so I like to play and do stuff like he does. I recently lowered my height of the guitars with my straps; I was used to the guitar being very high while playing, but it is easier to play standing with the guitar lowered to belt level. This change didn't help sitting with the guitar, but it gave me more room to adjust between sitting and playing. I love sitting on an oak stool, because it allows me to reach my foot pedals, with both feet, and if you're using a wah pedal sitting may aid in stability.

When sitting I tend to look at the guitar neck and my left hand. When standing I might sneak a few looks at the neck but I pretty much know what I might do musically

Playing an electric guitar is multitasking, and at its ultimate it is like a drummer using all extremities.

• 1 month later...

Hi

thanks a lot for you wise advices:

The "look smarter" option fits me very well( assuming my playing should also be smart ;) , I have found a foldable IKEA bar stool,

less glorious than the GIBSON one [wub] but easier to carry.

I already use a strap even seated in case my guitar slips away from me,which would be very unsuitable for the song and also more for

the 359.

I have started to practice standing, as you say it makes the musician more aware of the audience and what's going on on stage.I have

discovered that doing bends standing do not require more efforts than seated and I still do not understand why so many players jump or

twist their bodies whit a specific suffering face while they bend -cannot be another way to look smarter ?? :P

Thanks again,

I'll be the next BB king( bad exemple , he plays seated ) if the little pigs don't eat me ( French saying)

When you are playing standing up you have the side fret markers to show you where you are on the fretboard. You don't have to learn how to play without looking. I find that I have better control over the guitar standing up vs seated. By the way, have you ever seen the faces B.B. King makes when bending notes? He feels it down deep and it shows on his face.

Archived