Gibson Brands Forums

Texan on Ebay

Mickthemiller

Check this out - what is it? look at the back (it looks like maple!) look at the binding, look at the tuners - I can't find anything like it on the net.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item339dc02c5b

I have contacted the seller and he has now put a serial number on the photos

it was made at the Peerless Plant, Korea June 1996

Production Number: 1080

Check this out - what is it? look at the back (it looks like maple!) look at the binding, look at the tuners - I can't find anything like it on the net.

Interesting! It's apparently an early make of the Texan Reissue that ran from 1996 to 1999 (according to epiwiki). Yeah, I guess that's maple back and sides, but I'm figuring it must be laminate, with a solid spruce top. Apparently the production run of this Reissue only made mahoganies. I find that interesting, since I've got a solid maple back and sides 2003 EF Masterbilt, and they only offered solid mahogany or rosewood during the Masterbilt production run of 2004-2010.

Interesting! It's apparently an early make of the Texan Reissue that ran from 1996 to 1999 (according to epiwiki). Yeah, I guess that's maple back and sides, but I'm figuring it must be laminate, with a solid spruce top. Apparently the production run of this Reissue only made mahoganies. I find that interesting, since I've got a solid maple back and sides 2003 EF Masterbilt, and they only offered solid mahogany or rosewood during the Masterbilt production run of 2004-2010.

I have messaged the seller and he tells me it is ALL solid woods

I found this here

Looks like it is maple laminate back and sides

EPIPHONE TEXAN NA (2000)
EC+, D-size, 15-5/8" lower bout, sloped shoulders, solid spruce top, flamed maple back and sides, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard with parallelogram inlays, reverse belly rosewood bridge, antique natural body and sunburst neck finishes, tortoise plastic pickguard, chrome tuners, vertical oval peghead inlay, white body binding, b-w-b-w-b top purfling, b-w-b back purfling, ~25-5/8" scale, 1-11/16" nut width, decent sound, with gigbag (SN:R00B 0922)

20U-7569
- No longer available -

Very unlikely that the back & sides would be solid.

Hopefully there's a truss rod accessible through the soundhole.

I hadn't noticed the lack of truss rod cover! I have two AJ220s - one is Chinese and the other is Indonesian - the Chinese one has the truss rod adjustment in the sound hole and the truss rod cover is just for show really as it is blank under it. Looks like Peerless were given carte blanche and allowed to build a few to their own design. It does look pretty though - I really like an all blonde guitar.

Looks like Peerless were given carte blanche and allowed to build a few to their own design. It does look pretty though - I really like an all blonde guitar.

Build quality from the Peerless factory is generally very high.

This guitar would be worth checking out if you're close by.

Tonally & visually, I really like maple bodies, too!

It does look pretty though - I really like an all blonde guitar.

With 7 days left on the auction, hard to tell where it'll end up. A brand new IB64 Texan is only $400, and it's got a solid top and back. The '96, even in great condition, is probably only worth around $200, maybe $250 tops (according to an old AcousticGuitar forum thread where someone copied info from an older Epiphone forum thread. :) ) Looks like a nice case comes with it. Whoa, those Hiscox cases are like $280 new. A lowball bid ($200? [~130 pounds]) probably won't take this auction, but you never know how serious the other bidders are. Local pickup really narrows the competitive market. I came away with a very nice Epiphone Performer ME (all laminate, with electronics) with Epiphone case at a very reasonable price, since it's such fun to play.

Despite what the seller claims, those '96 Texans made at the Peerless plant had a laminate maple body. The key would be not a question of solid wood v. laminate but is the laminate made of even layers of the same wood glued together or some cheap filler stuff with a nice veneer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived