Gibson Brands Forums

Imperfection/flaw in SG binding

MrBax

Hello everyone,

In March 2012, I bought this brand new Gibson SG standard at a music store in Ontario, Canada. Shortly afterwards, my son was born and unfortunately the guitar went in the closet for a few years, and I didn't get many opportunities to play it much.

Recently however, I started playing it again and I saw something on the binding that I never noticed before. On the treble side of the neck, around the 17th or 18th fret, there appears to be a flaw or imperfection in the binding (see attached photo). The binding seems to dip inwards a bit, and it's especially noticeable when sighting the neck. It's almost like someone at the factory tried to remove a scratch or mar in the binding by sanding or filing it out; you can see a lot of tool marks on the fretboard around that area.

Naturally, I was really disappointed when I discovered this.

I wanted to ask you guys if you've seen this before, if this is common, or if anything can be done to repair this (obviously without having to replace the binding)?

Thanks so much

post-56042-062887800 1424566365_thumb.jpg

The binding is filed down to the fret board and the sides are shaped and the nibs are smoothed by hand. If you look closely enough you will see imperfections on most Gibsons with bound necks. I would try not to worry about it and would definitely not replace the binding.

I've found various flaws on mine partially due to reading this forum because tons of things are pointed out and discussed. I wouldn't fret over it (pun intended.).

The deviation of binding width is not a real problem to my senses. To me the very wide fret beveling would be much more of a problem since it is narrowing down the useful fretboard width significantly. In my belief, the effort to get these things right made them go the "fret over binding" route of next to all other manufacturers last year. Judging from those of my own I can say that unbound Gibson boards are fantastic.

Most players don't have problems with wide fret bevelings, but my fingers are very wide, so I have.

As said previously; it's rare to find one spotless. Maybe run some fine sandpaper over it to get rid of the tooling marks, or at least make them less obvious.

I've done that on one of mine where there were visible marks from some scraping the binding; a quick sanding later and hey presto; barely noticeable. Same with my LP studio; bass side of the neck the fretboard had barely been rolled, so there was a sharp edge. File and sandpaper to the rescue; job sorted.

If you're not comfortable to do the work yourself; don't! Leave it and live with it; she's still your guitar and it's part of her character. If it's unbearable; have a pro look at it [smile]

Thanks for the replies guys.

It is a beautiful guitar that I do love very much...especially that fat neck. And of course great tone, even when it's not plugged in I love how it sounds.

I thought I should at least share a picture.

It's a 2011 SG Standard in Heritage Cherry with chrome hardware.

post-56042-077513600 1424568202_thumb.jpg

The binding on my 2013 SG Standard is nowhere near flush on the bass side from frets 1 to about 4. Its like the router was set too deep or someone got too excited when routing my neck for the binding. It's not even subtle and very obvious and easily felt, but when I'm playing the guitar i don't even notice it. I'd say if it took you some time to spot this flaw (which in all honesty it is) I wouldn't sweat it. It's not like it affects the sound and/or all of a sudden the guitar is worthless now. With that said, sure, it can be disappointing, but I wouldn't sweat it. At least it's not in a spot like the first position, as in my guitar where it's always felt.

Archived