Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Gibson SG

Quison

Hi, I am new here. Have been bitten by SG guitars, preferably of some age. Found one now that is from 1966 or 1966 according to serial number. That is a bit odd to me. Is there a way to discriminate between these years? Also the serial number is not straight (se pic). Were they sometimes a bit sloppy when adding serial numbers at Gibson back in the good old days?

Guitar has some changes. New pickup at neck pos, vibrola arm missing and one of the control knobs exchanged for a switch. I guess this can be fixed.

Anyway I would be happy for any valuable information regarding the serial number on this one. Greetings Ulf

2ymhyk4.jpg

from 1966 or 1966 ....

First, I will assume there is a typo in the above.

Second, I can't read the serial number from the photo posted. What is the serial number? As Gibson 60's/70's six-digit serial numbers are a complete mess, even the number gives no definitive date, but it is part of the puzzle.

The SG went through many changes between 1966 and 1973, detailed photos are required. Such things as the pickguard size, style and shape, headstock "volute" (or not), "Made In USA" stamp, TOM bridge to harmonica bridge, etc.

I suspect from the tuning machines pictured, your guitar is later than '66.

Please submit the following photos and information:

Front body photo.

Full headstock photos, front and rear.

Full guitar photos, front and rear.

Serial number.

Potentiometer codes.

The requested info will allow an accurate determination of date of manufacture, but as with many late 60's/early 70's Gibsons, that could still be a two year span. There are accepted "assumptions" that can be made from pot codes.

Thank you for your responses. Yes I guess they might have been a bit sloppy from time to time. True there was a typo =). According to serial number keys the guitar is made either 1966 or 1969. Plz see a few more pics and tell me what you think. Like I said before. Neck pick-ups changed, no vibrola arm, control knob exchanged for switch (unless you know that they made models like that?)

Prize being asked for is roughly 2.1 K USD. Should I stay away? Grateful for your feedback. Greetings Ulf.

n1c60p.jpg

jtm42o.jpg

2ymhyk4.jpg

post-70592-046785200 1424072196_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your responses. Yes I guess they might have been a bit sloppy from time to time. True there was a typo =). According to serial number keys the guitar is made either 1966 or 1969. Plz see a few more pics and tell me what you think. Like I said before. Neck pick-ups changed, no vibrola arm, control knob exchanged for switch (unless you know that they made models like that?)

Prize being asked for is roughly 2.1 K USD. Should I stay away? Grateful for your feedback. Greetings Ulf.

n1c60p.jpg

jtm42o.jpg

2ymhyk4.jpg

Serial number is 830139

The "Batwing" pickguard SG's were originally produced from roughly 1966-1970. The published serial number records do agree with your findings '66 or '69, but there is always some leeway and carry-over. I can't tell from the photos (and with my partial colorblindness) if the finish is walnut or cherry. The walnut finish option came along later in the model run, said to have been around 1970. Again, the date of model and option changes IS NOT January 1st of whatever year, so 1970 features will be found on some late 1969 guitars, etc.

So, a few pieces of the puzzle are still required:

1. Finish color: walnut or cherry

2. Does it have a headstock "volute"?

3. What are the potentiometer codes?

The "Batwing" pickguard SG's were originally produced from roughly 1966-1970. The published serial number records do agree with your findings '66 or '69, but there is always some leeway and carry-over. I can't tell from the photos (and with my partial colorblindness) if the finish is walnut or cherry. The walnut finish option came along later in the model run, said to have been around 1970. Again, the date of model and option changes IS NOT January 1st of whatever year, so 1970 features will be found on some late 1969 guitars, etc.

So, a few pieces of the puzzle are still required:

1. Finish color: walnut or cherry

2. Does it have a headstock "volute"?

3. What are the potentiometer codes?

Thanks. It is cherry color and there doesn't seem to be a headstock volute (see attached pic). The potentiometer codes are currently unavailable for me.

file://localhost/Users/ulfkarlsson/Downloads/headstock_gibson.webp

post-70592-075751500 1424103192_thumb.jpg

I had one, like that, that was a '68! That is to say, I bought it new, in '68! I could have

easily been made in '67, at that time, as the turnover wasn't nearly as swift, as it is now!

Mine still had the wider body beveling, and deeper horn beveling, and horn tapering, as well.

The one in your picture seems to have the later "shallower" bevels, in the horns area, and the

narrower beveling around the body. So, it's would "seem" to be more toward '69, than '66!

BUT, they all varied a bit, back then. The neck joint is the longer style, that was popular,

with Gibson, at that time.

Good Luck!

CB

OK, thank you for valuable feed-back. 1969 it is then. I´ll check the pot codes later on and post them here. No one seemed particularly worried about the appearance of the serial number so I feel less worried about it myself =)

Thanks

Ulf

Archived