Gibson Brands Forums

gibson 355 help me

samtexas77

• 2 weeks later...

Typically the sunburst finish with the brown back and sides (and the cherry sunburst top / reddish back and sides version) is found on the budget models, with the more deluxe guitars getting the full sunburst treatment for the back and sides as well. The sunburst top / brown back is standard on ES330s but rare on ES3*5 models. Sunburst 355s are fairly rare anyway, although I've seen examples from throughout the model's history. That said, given the frequency with which spec-defying Gibsons show up on the market it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see a 355 with the finish you're looking for.

Typically the sunburst finish with the brown back and sides (and the cherry sunburst top / reddish back and sides version) is found on the budget models, with the more deluxe guitars getting the full sunburst treatment for the back and sides as well. The sunburst top / brown back is standard on ES330s but rare on ES3*5 models. Sunburst 355s are fairly rare anyway, although I've seen examples from throughout the model's history. That said, given the frequency with which spec-defying Gibsons show up on the market it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see a 355 with the finish you're looking for.

Good answer.

To put a finer point on it, 335's and 355's especially would be stock with a more "higher end" sunburst finish. Again, stock, or typical. A matter of spec.

A 355 with a "downgraded" sunburst finish type would seem out of place to many, particularly to those familiar with what guitar would have what finishes. Since a 355 would never be spec'd from the factory or as a production run with the lesser sunburst finish type, it would have to be done intentionally. Who would do that?

Like JAYYJ says though, to those familiar with which guitars typically have what finish, to find a 355 in sunburst at all would make many drool with desire.

It seems like for the last few years of the original run a dark sunburst was one of the more common finishes, along with Wine Red and Walnut - I've seen several of these with the TP6 tailpiece in Sunburst dating from '78 - '83. I remember chatting to someone who worked for Gibson at that time, and he said that 355s were made in very small batches at that time, and there were a lot of little tweaks that they would try on a batch and see how they were received. My Walnut '79 has a different stereo circuit with outputs on the rim and coil taps instead of a varitone, and although it has a Bigsby fitted these days there's the original TP6 in the case. Some of the features tried out in those batches ended up on the BB King model.

I never get tired of looking at Danny's custom with the L5 fingerboard!

Archived