Gibson Brands Forums

Used SG or Firebird; purchase recommendation

crush01

I have some GAS and the some funds. Looking at the following used guitars and would like some opinions. Both used. 2010 SG faded with 57,57+ p/u upgrade. CTS pots (500K) or Firebird 70S Tribute stock w/mini HB. Both are in the $600 range and have HSC. I play mostly blues and blues rock; Black Crowes and DBT style.

I have some GAS and the some funds. Looking at the following used guitars and would like some opinions. Both used. 2010 SG faded with 57,57+ p/u upgrade. CTS pots (500K) or Firebird 70S Tribute stock w/mini HB. Both are in the $600 range and have HSC. I play mostly blues and blues rock; Black Crowes and DBT style.

Personally I am more of a firebird guy myself but can't beat 57s in a SG. I believe both are satin finishes so be sure to look them over if you can, plus side I think the satin necks are really nice to play. Honestly a couple hundred more and some patience you could find a SG standard or a firebird studio possibly.

Both terrific guitars, I have one of each.

If I only could get one, the SG would get my nod. More versatile, easier to carry around, use less stage space, more powerful tone.

But if the Firebird floats your boat, they sure are nice.

P.

Archived