Gibson Brands Forums

Please help identifying this old guitar

Ranger462

Please help identifying this old guitar that unfortunately I know almost nothing about. It was purchased from the family of a deceased semi professional player that used to play in a band at one time with my father. The only markings on the instrument is the Gibson logo on the headstock and the number 328 inside the body.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Tony

post-70648-092424000 1424208015_thumb.jpg

post-70648-084175500 1424208026_thumb.jpg

post-70648-079505300 1424208041_thumb.jpg

post-70648-037877400 1424208052_thumb.jpg

post-70648-008160500 1424208067_thumb.jpg

Retrorod, thank you for the reply and taking the time to look this over. Are there other pictures or information I could provide that might hep make this more identifiable? It appears to be fairly old looking at the wood inside the sound hole, though I must admit I know next to nothing about older guitars. It also isn't a full sized guitar (or at least I think) with the 12th fret being at the body of the guitar.

Thanks again!

Tony, it appears to have been stripped and refinished. The number you mention may be a FON number which would help to categorize it. It has a French heel and appears to be mahogany top. Measure it's dimensions and post. It is likely valuable but being stripped hurts it significantly.

Thanks fredcapo! The measurements are: Saddle to nut, 24 3/4" , Nut width 1 11/16", overall length 38 1/8", body measurements 10 1/2" x 8 1/2" x 14 5/8" wide and 4" deep. I didn't realize it had been stripped and refinished. That's a shame. I did a Google search of that FON and this is what I found, Factory order number FON 328 the only FON that is L00 12 fret black and white. They only made 12 fretters until the middle of 1932 the first official year of the L00 and only this batch in black and white. Do you think this is correct?

Thanks!

Looks like google has served you well. What are your future plans for the guitar, Ranger? As Fred says the finish hurts it badly as far as collectability. It is possibly a cool, rare old Gibson at any rate. If you play, it would make a cool guitar with some setup work, possibly!

Rod

I just can't get a 'sense' for this guitar by the pictures,

Hey Ranger, after re-looking at your guitar, I can explain somewhat what I meant. The guitar pictured is missing its original finish, its original bridge and its pickguard. It looks nothing like an original L00. If it has good bones it would be a candidate for a 'restoration' at which time, one would have spent as much money as a good condition and original example would sell for but would maybe be worth half of that price!

Jes' sayin'....sometimes "old and cool"....is 'just' that... If it is in great playing condition at this time, you are miles ahead in the game.

A link to what it may have looked like?

http://www.folkwaymu...guitars/id.992/

I plan to keep it and play it from time to time. Aside from the finish, its in pretty good shape considering it's age and it won't take much to get it playable. It may not be collectable, but I do think it's a cool old guitar.

Thanks Rod and Fred for getting started in the right direction!

Here is the link where I got my info. https://reverb.com/item/415056-gibson-l00-1932-black The link you sent was for fon 321 mine is 328. Not sure what the difference is other than it looks like mine is 12 fret and the other is 14. Anyway, I don't have a lot of money in it and though it may not be collectable, but I'm happy owning a piece of 1932 history.

Thanks Again!

Hey Ranger, I did not mean it is not a collectable guitar and model. I simply meant that a lot of collectable value is gone because of things done to it over the years.

Cheers!....enjoy it! I would have bought it also, for a little money.

Rod

Most likely 1930-1931 L-O. FON of 328 says 1931, but physical characteristics are 1930, but there is no absolute breaking line between 1930 and 1931 characteristics.

Refinished, and with what appears top be a replacement bridge. Not very many mahogany-topped 12-fretters around. Nice guitar, despite the modifications.

Edit: after a bit more research, original analysis appears correct: 1930-'31 L-O

Archived