Gibson Brands Forums

Looking at 2015 Studio

DHop

I'm looking to purchase a new guitar and have been looking at the new LP Studio. I realize they are still new but was wondering if anyone had any input. I had a wine red studio back in the 90s that I sold. It was a great guitar but I went all acoustic. Now getting back into electrics for fun and recording. Ant thoughts appreciated.

Studios are great guitars.. just with less bling than a standard or something like that...

2015 saw some big changes (as you may or may not have read) including quite a difference in the necks...

If you like big necks then go give it a try you may love it.. If not you want to look at a pre 2015 model..

I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic and a 96 studio. I love the classics bigger neck. As Rabs says the differance in the neck is night and day. If you like the neck of the older gibson studio then the 2015 will be a big differance but since you have been playing acustics the wider neck of the 2015 may be perfect for you. The g-force tunner works great on my 2015 some people just would rather not have them. I like them. The biggest issue I've had is the brass zero fret nut. It pings when you do heavy bends and the strings started cutting into the brass makeing grooves and leaving metal dust on the fret board with in the first 2 months. I e-mailed Gibson ansd they sent me 2 replacement zero fret nuts made a little different to get rid of the pings and they are treated differantly so the strings don't cut into them. I'm not the only person with the problem of the zero fret nut. They have had theres replaced with the new nut and it's still getting grooves cut into them with the strings. I haven't had any problems with my replacement nut yet.

I'm looking to purchase a new guitar and have been looking at the new LP Studio. I realize they are still new but was wondering if anyone had any input. I had a wine red studio back in the 90s that I sold. It was a great guitar but I went all acoustic. Now getting back into electrics for fun and recording. Ant thoughts appreciated.

I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic and a 96 studio. I love the classics bigger neck. As Rabs says the differance in the neck is night and day. If you like the neck of the older gibson studio then the 2015 will be a big differance but since you have been playing acustics the wider neck of the 2015 may be perfect for you. The g-force tunner works great on my 2015 some people just would rather not have them. I like them. The biggest issue I've had is the brass zero fret nut. It pings when you do heavy bends and the strings started cutting into the brass makeing grooves and leaving metal dust on the fret board with in the first 2 months. I e-mailed Gibson ansd they sent me 2 replacement zero fret nuts made a little different to get rid of the pings and they are treated differantly so the strings don't cut into them. I'm not the only person with the problem of the zero fret nut. They have had theres replaced with the new nut and it's still getting grooves cut into them with the strings. I haven't had any problems with my replacement nut yet.

Scotty V.

http://imgur.com/a/z4f2J

Current equipment, 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio/active emg 81/85, 2012 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custome Plus, Fender Mustang V 150 watt stereo Head matched 4X12 200 watt Stereo Cab. 2 and 4 button switch for the head and expression pedal for the head.

As previously stated, the best way to decide on which year/model is for you, either do some research on them, or even just go to your local music shop and try some. See which year stands out the most. There were definitely a large amount of "improvements" in 2015, so I'd make sure they're all what you want. Studios are raw, much less fluff to them in terms of switches and knobs, so make sure that's exactly what you want. If you're on a budget, I'm sure there are enough cheaper used guitars that are in just as good shape. Good luck on deciding!

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm heading to GC this weekend to play a few. I have done quite a bit of research online and look forward to getting one in my hands. I've been trolling a few online sites for used as well. I don't need a tricked out guitar. In many ways the simpler the better. Will let everyone know how I fi!

Thanks

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm heading to GC this weekend to play a few. I have done quite a bit of research online and look forward to getting one in my hands. I've been trolling a few online sites for used as well. I don't need a tricked out guitar. In many ways the simpler the better. Will let everyone know how I fi!

Thanks

Do yourself a favour then if you like them stripped down.. Try a LP Junior or the new Double Cut.. they are awesome.. Just pure stripped down rock machines [thumbup] and its that basicness that makes them so great (I think anyway :))

Lots of great used studios out there to be had for a fair price. I would look for an older one...i've seen 90's studios go for around the $650 range lately... (Canadian $$$ that is...) good luck in your search. Can't go wrong with a studio... [thumbup]

Do yourself a favour then if you like them stripped down.. Try a LP Junior or the new Double Cut.. they are awesome.. Just pure stripped down rock machines [thumbup] and its that basicness that makes them so great (I think anyway :))

They're so stripped down they're all neck, ha, ha.

• 2 weeks later...

My advice would be try one before you buy, I really dislike the new wider neck, I brought a junior with minimal time spent with the new necks and after using for a month I hate it. So I'm getting rid and will be on the hunt for an older junior instead.

2014 was a good year in my humble opinion

I agree. The 2014 Studios sound and play really great. Every 2014 Gibby I've played has been a really good guitar actually. My '14 Classic has a nice vintagy bite, great low action and the fit and finnish are flawless. A good year for Gibson....

Archived