Gibson Brands Forums

Frank Marino's "Poppy"

Jimi Mac

I posted this in the Lounge, but I think it bears posting here in The SG forum too.

While many are SG players for periods in their careers, Frank Marino appears to have stayed loyal to SG's for pretty much his entire career that I've seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_03JOp4DcY

Yes it's 26+ minutes, but worth experiencing every second of it!

It is a sublime expression of guitar musical genius and reverent tribute to avid SG players... (such as himself)

With his tribute nods contained within going-out to Robby Krieger; an avid and iconic SG player from The Doors with a tribute to his intricate Flamenco style laden "Light My Fire" passages, Carlos Santana's version of The Zombies "She's Not There" as Carlos was an SG player early on; see his Woodstock footage, Eric Clapton's Cream era "Crossroads" when

a custom hand painted SG, (even though Crossroads was apparently recorded with his ES335 from that era) and a clear reference and tribute to Dickey Betts and Duane Allman who shared SG duties on this Axe during their hey-day although I would suggest it was Dickey that was better known for his work on an SG... They did both share that axe...

It is simply a magnificent piece of work worthy of "alltime" conversations and recognition.

Frank Marino's entire career's body of work is sublime and a pinnacle of guitar playing and music arrangement.

Albeit sometimes complicated and rather "out-there," he's clearly in a league by himself and capable of almost anything...

Frank's certainly on the top of my favorite SG players list!

I posted this in the Lounge, but I think it bears posting here in The SG forum too.

While many are SG players for periods in their careers, Frank Marino appears to have stayed loyal to SG's for pretty much his entire career that I've seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_03JOp4DcY

Yes it's 26+ minutes, but worth experiencing every second of it!

It is a sublime expression of guitar musical genius and reverent tribute to avid SG players... (such as himself)

With his tribute nods contained within going-out to Robby Krieger; an avid and iconic SG player from The Doors with a tribute to his intricate Flamenco style laden "Light My Fire" passages, Carlos Santana's version of The Zombies "She's Not There" as Carlos was an SG player early on; see his Woodstock footage, Eric Clapton's Cream era "Crossroads" when

a custom hand painted SG, (even though Crossroads was apparently recorded with his ES335 from that era) and a clear reference and tribute to Dickey Betts and Duane Allman who shared SG duties on this Axe during their hey-day although I would suggest it was Dickey that was better known for his work on an SG... They did both share that axe...

It is simply a magnificent piece of work worthy of "alltime" conversations and recognition.

Frank Marino's entire career's body of work is sublime and a pinnacle of guitar playing and music arrangement.

Albeit sometimes complicated and rather "out-there," he's clearly in a league by himself and capable of almost anything...

Frank's certainly on the top of my favorite SG players list!

He's on top of my list too! I'll NEVER forget hearing the live version of "World Anthem" for the first time! It STILL gives me chills EVERY time I hear it- without any "assistance" from substances, if you get my drift [wink]

I'm not a "hair splitter" but the guitar of Clapton's was not named "the Fool" the artist(s) who painted it went by the moniker "The Fool". I never really got if it was one guy who went by that moniker or a group of artists..but I digress... Rock and Roll!- Played by those who live it! Thanks for this post!!

Brian

Archived