Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone : the action

lolo_guitar

Hello!

Is this fret is worn? The frets are worn, in general?

This happens due to the fret is being lower than one of the next frets. See, if the string touches the any of the frets above.

If so, You will need the frets levelled, especially if the rest of the frets are worn too.

If the frets are in good shape, then focus on frets 20-22. Check their height. A fret rocker is useful for tracing such issues.

Fret_Rocker.jpg

Cheers... Bence

thanks

but it's complicated

my guitar was set up with a luthier but the strings were too high for me

so, i tried different action

so, if i must have a high action just in order to my guitar sounds good

this is not what i want

i would ask what i want next time and i will check in the shop [crying]

• 1 month later...

at the 19th fret, if i make a bend, the sound will not be as good as in the other frets

so, i can't have an action of less than 2mm if i want a good sound with distorsion

i think that for the clean sound, it's worst than with disto

You want to play with an action lower than 2mm? Good luck with that, youre Epi is actually

doing pretty good (btw, why is this post located here?)

First, you might want to check how straight your neck is, while its tuned on your usual tuning.

You'd rather play with your pickups height and perhaps also the poles (screws, slugs), if you're

after a little more output or tone, not by lowering your whole bridge and strings.

This is not a matter of opinion, its facts.

With all due respect, an action of 2mm is already something a bit stupid in the gibson world IMHO.

IDK what kind of guitar deals with that, if any... Thick strings will buzz.

Make yourself a favor and up that bridge to a decent level (don't forget the intonation), so that

the strings have room as to vibrate well without buzzing all around, with sustain, I'm almost sure

that small defect will fade out.

Otherwise, if its actually one fret that out of height, you could have a luthier set it properly for

you, along with a proper action.

Good luck.

Archived