Gibson Brands Forums

les paul standard axcess

lolo_guitar

i have never understood why people liked a guitar which is impossible to play after the 15 or 17th fret

the sound is good but we can't play as good as with others guitars

I have an Epiphone and I can not see myself buying a guitar 3 times the price or more if it is hard to play for soloists

Well...it's up to the anatomy of each individual. I can play the whole fretboard of the regular Les Paul. I am not saying, it's not painful to reach the low-E string at the 20th fret, but I can handle that.

Cheers... Bence

i have never understood why people liked a guitar which is impossible to play after the 15 or 17th fret

I have an Epiphone and I can not see myself buying a guitar 3 times the price or more if it is hard to play for soloists

its about adaptability. maybe you cant adapt to a different neck or rather you can but don't want to. i have. ive always had very open accessible necks having played mostly set neck MLs in recent years. i bought my paul last year. im playing dimebag solos (sans harmonic floyd stuff obviously) with no trouble at the top of the neck. huge bends and high fretwork. could i always? heck no, but it comes with time and practice. my hands/muscles are now adapted to the joint.

if you truly dont want the floyd and cant hang with a normal LP cut, just but the axcess and lock the floyd with one of the many d.i.y. or retail solutions.

Well...it's up to the anatomy of each individual. I can play the whole fretboard of the regular Les Paul. I am not saying, it's not painful to reach the low-E string at the 20th fret, but I can handle that.

Cheers... Bence

Same here. No problem here with upper fret reach on any guitar offering a nice treble sided cutaway like Les Paul and Telecaster models. The Axcess shaping is not really important to me. If there was a guitar with all the Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess features except the Axcess shaping, and probably somewhat cheaper, I would have went with that.

Hello Billy!

These came with and without the Floyd Rose system too.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Axcess-Standard.aspx

Cheers... Bence

A bandmate of mine owns one. He bought it at a trade fair at an incredible price. Obviously nobody wanted one in ebony, and finally he couldn't resist. He loves playing her although his stunning early 1980's Les Paul K. M. (Kalamazoo, Michigan) model is still his no. 1 Les Paul. A pal of friend of him had bought it then in the USA, and since about two years she's his one.

its about adaptability. maybe you cant adapt to a different neck or rather you can but don't want to. i have. ive always had very open accessible necks having played mostly set neck MLs in recent years. i bought my paul last year. im playing dimebag solos (sans harmonic floyd stuff obviously) with no trouble at the top of the neck. huge bends and high fretwork. could i always? heck no, but it comes with time and practice. my hands/muscles are now adapted to the joint.

if you truly dont want the floyd and cant hang with a normal LP cut, just but the axcess and lock the floyd with one of the many d.i.y. or retail solutions.

Agreed. You do adapt to the guitar after a while, even when you play up high. However, I have to be objective here and call out Gibson (and Fender, too). They should have less wood there. That thick piece of wood at the neck joint has no function, and that part of the design has never been improved on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very traditional. I hate all the esthetics changes and the wider fretboard on the 2015 Les Pauls. But if Gibson were actually about changes for the best, aside from the zero fret nut which has potential, they should have made the neck joint less bulky. That be a change that I could embrace. Not the awful holograms, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived